This Disappears When Logged In

I Need A Little Help...

Discussion in 'Boas' started by gillian, Aug 16, 2018.

1. gillian

gillian New Member

So....turns out my Red Tailed Boa (6.5ft, 17lbs) decided to go up into my ceiling tiles early afternoon yesterday. We took apart the ceiling in the kitchen (where he used the cabinets to get up) but with the position of the layout it looks like the only possible escape from my ceiling is a small area (that he would be able to fir) that leads to what looks like either MY bathroom or my NEIGHBORS ceiling. With the positions of the counter and cabinets, we cant see directly into the area to see where it goes or if he is just chilling there. He hasn't eaten in about 3 to 4 weeks due to not wanting what we offered so we know he is hungry. We are putting old rat bedding or small breathable rat cage with a rat in it on my cabinets to help lure him out but I was wondering:

1. If there are any other suggestion to get him out.
    2. How to prevent this from happening again. (he is free roam for over a year and this is first incident. Since he seems to like high warm places we thought about getting him a cat tree with either a heating pad or heat lamp)
    3. Do i need to worry about health issues from the insulation or any bugs or things (house centipedes, spiders, etc)?

Also, please no hateful comments about how "I am a bad parent for letting this happen" Things happen, hes a snake. I have had him for almost 4 years and have never had this problem with him before.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ll answer the 2nd question first; to stop it happening again keep the snake in a secure enclosure with supportive conditions where it should live a long and healthy life... Allowing some "outside" (the enclosure) time is fine if it`s properly supervised.
    I think leaving rat bedding is a good idea as is a heat pad or lamp.

Qwerty3159 and Lori68 like this.
  3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Look for the snake to be moving after the lights have been out for a bit. Alert your neighbor in case it does turn up there.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Flour can be sprinkled across any surfaces you think the snake may pass over, it will show if it passed through a given section. And yes, you need to have it in a cage, these are tropical animals, and security and safety notwithstanding, human homes do not provide the correct environment to support their health. Although you may have gotten away with it before now, this should prove that it wasn't really a good idea in the first place.

Lori68 likes this.