This Disappears When Logged In

I have a question...(as usual)

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Microscope Jockey, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Ok I'm a non-lizard person as you all know but I enjoy reading some of the ig posts and looking at ig pics. I know from reading and talking to folks that sometimes female igs need to have hysterectomies if they become egg-bound and I was wondering if this caused them to stop "going into season" ?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It will stop them becoming gravid if done properly. Usually the spaying is done on females that repeatedly have a problem with eggbinding. If done improperly the ig can regenerate and become gravid again.

3. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Igs can regenerate fallopian tubes? Or ovaries? How do spays on igs work? I only know about them as performed on mammals. That's potentially pretty cool. Ok this might get me shot*hides behind a large log* but the original reason I asked was because I was thinking about people posting about agressive igs in season and I wondered if perhaps spaying and neutering would reduce agression and other "undersirable" characteristics associated with intact animals? I know that surgery on reptiles, anesthesia in particular, is a much bigger deal than with mammals so I wondered if that was the reason why it wasn't a common practice?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Aggression is more a problem with breeding season males than females. There have been some reports that neutering may calm some breeding seaason problems in males but the jury is still out on that one. The reason that surgery on iguanas is a big deal is that like much about reptile medicine it is still in its infancy and is risky.
    I am not all that up on what exactly is involved but I do know if all the follicles are not removed they can regenerate and produce eggs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.