This Disappears When Logged In

I Have a Problem.

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Hydra8, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hydra8

Hydra8 Member

I bought a brazilian rainbow boa and its already a good size at four ft. The only other snake i had was a baby ball python who's a complete angel and this one is totally not. I was just wondering if anyone had any good advice on a way to tame it. Getting bitten really isn't an issue with me at the moment as I already have been. Thanks

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Welcome! How long have you owned the Rainbow Boa? What does it's enclosure look like, along with temps?

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. I dont think the enclosure or temps are an issue. He's is asking how to tame it. No animal is ever completely tame. Handling it quite often your best bet. I've even heard of some people putting a shirt or towel that smells like them inside the enclosure so the snake can get use to the scent. I dont know if it works or not :).

4. schlegelbagel

Well yeah, but I was thinking stress factors. A snake would probably be more bitey if it was stressed out... meaning maybe it just moved in.

Not to mention if its an adult, you don't know how it was treated in the past.. If it's kept in a too small enclosure that's too hot... so many factors.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Many people find that Rainbows are never as tame as their other snakes (Ball Pythons for example) and many have found them to be just as tame. I have had mine less than a year, since she was a baby, and not s ingle bite - and babies are supposed to be nippy.

A lot of gentle handling, and patience. Try the shirt trick.

with wily, aggressive snakes, I have a had a lot of luck sitting outside an open cage, and letting the snake kind of come out at their own pace. I try not to approach them head-on, but come from another angle, so I don't seem so intimidating to them. I'll usually touch them gently, somewhere along the middle of their body so they know I am there, and wait for a reaction to gauge their mood. just go slowly, and have patience.

It's good you're prepared to take a few hits, cause some might happen.

6. Hydra8

Hydra8 Member

the temps are where they are supposed to be set at from all the sites i've researched i'm always very careful. He also has two big bowls of water one under the heat lamp for humidity (plus i make sure to spray the cage down multiple times a day) and one in the colder area deep enough for him to submerge in. he's four ft. and his tank is 100 gallon long. he also has a hidey place. I've only had him for a few days but he seems calm until a hand is reached into the cage and then he bites right away. i realize i'm going to get bit though my ball python has never ever stricken me, even when he should have like when he was shedding and i reached in real fast he still stopped inches from my hand. he's a good boy like that. i just want the opinions on some of the best ways to get him to a ppoint where i can actually hold him and only take a few bites if he never gets to be as completely calm as my Hydra baby. i realized when i bought them that the rainbow boa isn't as calm as a ball python,

7. schlegelbagel

If you have only had him a few days, there is a good chance he is stressed from the move. I'd leave him be for a week so he can get settled into the new surroundings.

8. Hydra8

Hydra8 Member

I've dealt with a stressed snake or two before (my friends) and it might just be that but it seems to be more just plain old aggression. Since he seems perfectly calm when he's in the cage and I've touched him with the flat end of the feeding tongues I own and he's fine. Its just hands he seems to have a real problem with.

9. schlegelbagel

I wouldn't be poking him with ANYTHING right now. Just let him settle in.

10. Hydra8

Hydra8 Member

lol. Not poking that'd be mean and obnoxious. Just to stroke down along his body i want him to get used to it. But i suppose i'll wait a few more days.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Give him a week to settle down before you disturb him.
    How long has it been since he has been fed? Since he ignores everything except the warm object(your hand) placed into the tank it may be a feeding response.
    And you are correct, there is a world of difference between the personalities of a ball python and a rainbow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.