This Disappears When Logged In

I Don't Think My Leo Is Eating His Calcium...

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Romeyrider, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Romeyrider

Romeyrider Well-Known Member

I provide my gecko with Repashy reptile calcium in a shallow dish. I am not new to reptiles but relatively new to geckos. I have had this particular gecko for about three weeks. I had another gecko before him but I found him a new home. Anyways so far he stepped in it a couple of times the first week and I thought maybe he was licking it but I wanted to be sure so I evened out the calcium so it looks freshly poured. That way I could tell if he disturbed the dish or not. So far in the last two weeks the dish has not been disturbed.

He is only a year old and I think they finish growing at 18 months(he's a giant) so I know how important it is for them to get calcium when they are still growing.

How often do they lick up the calcium?

2. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

I dust my geckos food with it every 3 day fo them to get it. I do also keep a dish of it in the enclosure, but they will only eat from it if they need it. I have personaly never seen my use it. I just keep it in there as a safety.

3. Romeyrider

I read that you shouldn't dust your mealworms with it because this may cause the gecko to not want to eat as well.

4. Kolby Tannehill

I have seen others dust meal worm and they eat the,. how ever I dust the cricket, all my lizard eat them so it is easier that way.

5. Kolby Tannehill

6. Romeyrider

I definitely suppose it's worth a try. If I notice he's not eating then I will stop dusting his food. Thanks!

7. Kolby Tannehill

Bot a problem, if you feed crickets to them I would dust them, the calcium seem to stick to them better. Only dust them right before feeding though, they are self cleaners. Not only will the gecko not get much calcium from it that way. It could also kill you crickets if they tru to molt.

8. Kolby Tannehill

Not* sorry I am in the dark and not good not typing.

9. Romeyrider

Thanks Kolby! I dusted his mealworms. I don't like feeding crickets.

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just because you don't see the gecko eat the calcium doesn't mean it isn't. The calcium being left in the enclosure is so the gecko CAN eat the calcium if it needs it. It doesn't mean it will sit there and be taking mouthfuls though. lol It is a good idea to dust the feeders but make sure you leave the dish of calcium in the enclosure at all times. The gecko knows what it needs better than you and I ever will.

11. Romeyrider

How often on average do geckos feel like they need calcium? I know it varies from gecko to gecko.

12. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You answered your own question. lol

13. Romeyrider

Lol. I suppose I did. :)

Rich likes this.
  14. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I dust my leo's food with Repashy Calcium Plus every feeding (This is calcium + multivitamins). once or twice a month I'll dust using Calcium with D3. My two girls are really healthy, so I'm assuming I'm doing a good job :)

15. Romeyrider

I am using the brand Repashy. I think it's one of the better ones out there. Thanks everyone for all the advice!

16. Romeyrider

So I tried sprinkling it on his food and he stopped eating. Maybe he doesn't like the taste?

17. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

Has he eaten yet? If he stopped eating it could be due to temperature changes in his enclosure. Hope everything is alright.

18. Romeyrider

He is eating now. I wanted to try roaches and it turns out he loves those little guys even with calcium and vitamins. Which is good because roaches are better for them anyway.

19. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

Roaches definitely have a better source of protein. Leopard geckos love dubias, I have a couple that have actually stopped eating meal worms completely. I try to breed dubias in order to keep up with the demand but I always end up feeding off the whole colony. Glad he is eating now. Looks like a beautiful gecko from your profile picture.

20. Romeyrider

Thank you. I do think he is quite handsome.