This Disappears When Logged In

I Dont Know What to Do.

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by jfogle78, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

I have to give up my Igs and Savannah monitor. The fire dept had to come into our building because there was smoke in the halls. They found nothing upon investigating. We were told our cages are a fire hazard and that they have to go. I don't even know where to go with them. There are no reptile rescues in our area. Is there anyone who can help?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

How on earth is a cage a fire hazard? where in PA are you? Maryland is a far drive, but they have a rescue in Baltimore.

3. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

I'm in York county how can I get in contact with them?
    They said the cage material is combustable. I have the lights so they are far enough away. And have never had any problems in all the time.

4. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

could you re-make the cages or ask how they think it should be done?

5. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

We can't afford to build new cages.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

could you paint the out side with flame resistant paint or something?

or i have no idea, is it the lights? the light bulbs them selves? or what exactly is it?

I am very sorry, and i am sorry i didn't say that before! How shocking! someone probably did something stupid in your building and you get all the ****.

I don't really understand though, candles are a fire hazard, curling irons are a fire hazard, cigarettes are a fire hazard. Anything made out of wood, paper, and such is combustable. If the animals are legal, the bulbs are legal, and set up properly what is the issue for them?

Are you going to try and fight it?

7. Ibrahim

Ibrahim Elite Member

the best thing to do, I think is try and fight it, As kendalle suggested. Tell them that if its legal to keep these reptiles then it's a necessary to have an enclosure, lights, etc. Plus there is much more hazardous things to worry about than reptile cages, this is stupid.

8. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I would contact the department and have them tell you what code was violated. If they can't tell you that and didn't cite you on the spot they have no ground to stand on. If they tell you the code you have a amount of time to correct the problem. It may just be a simple fix. ie. insolating the cable connections or a light housing that brings you back into code if that's the case.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree with Kendalle, it`s easy enough to use fire- resisant paint, you can`t get rid of your pets without trying to fight to keep them!!
    Good luck, don`t give in!!!
    Stefan

10. schlegelbagel

I would definitely fight them first and use the rescue as a last resort. Fire departments want to work WITH you, that's their job. They aren't there to take your pets away. Find out what needs correcting. It may be a simple fix. Kendelle is right. A couch is combustible. You may have gotten one fireman that doesn't like reptiles. Make them give you something in writing and have them work with you to fix the problem.

11. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I too would suggest going to the fire department head quarters (for York, or whatever county or however you guys break things up there, not just the local firehouse). Take pictures of your cages, and show what saftey measures you have in place to keep the lamps from turning over or being knocked off and becoming a fire hazard.

They are correct in saying that the lamps and cages can be a fire hazard. I myself have pulled a 3' ig out of a fire that he had started by knocking his basking lamp over. (no one else wanted to go near him...) But, if you have taken precautions from keeping that from happening, it shouldn't be an issue.

NOW, that being said. That should help you with the fire department, but if the apartment complex you are living in decides that they don't want to take the risk, they might be able to make you rehome the animals. Especially if they aren't listed on your lease.

Good Luck!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Jen that's awful!!
    I would go over their heads and find out just exactly what regulations they are basing that on. Animal lamps are no more a fire hazard than household lamps as long as they are wired properly and secured.
    They would have me kicking and screaming all the way to city hall!
    And I can get pretty darned loud!

13. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I agree with fighting them! I have had the fire dept here this winter because my wood stove got way too hot. They had to check out my attic and roof and such.

I have cages everywhere, lol. They only thing they inquired about was the wattage of my bulbs and the fixtures that held them. Most of mine are wired in the cages and have a built in on and off switch like a light bulb. They inquired with the ones that were not like that. Like the snake cages, they wanted to make sure that the ceramic fixture was able to hold the high amount of wattage the bulb was putting out. They did, so there was no problem.

Another thing, do you have all of them running off of one outlet? That can be a fire hazard in older homes, if there is too much running off tat outlet. In newer homes it will pop the breaker first, that I have experienced a few times, lol.

As far as the bedding being combustible, so is yours! So time to ditch the comforter and sheets. Oh wait,get rid of the mattress too lol.

How ridiculous! I am with everyone else, make them give it to you in writing then fix whatever it is they have a problem with!

14. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Fight, fight, fight until you have no more fight left in you! From the sounds of this, the whole situation makes no since and there is no reason for you to have to give up your loved pets. If they have a liable reason, work with them to get it fixed. If they don't though, don't just give in to them. Let them know that you don't plan on backing down or giving up.

15. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

It could be as simple as putting a surge protector on your outlets, they aren't that expensive, and they stop power if there is a short, or over use of an out let.

16. Ace

Ace Elite Member

FIGHT IT! There is no way that they can deny you there has to be something that can be done! I wish you luck! If it was me I would have went off and let them have it, I don't have a lot of patience for anyone that even tempts to tell me to get rid of my animals!

17. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

The apt owner is now prohibiting any type of reptiles to be kept. Doesn't want his insurance rates to go up. I can't blame him really. But it doesn't mean its fair. I have been contacted by a couple people who are going to try to help me out. So just keep your fingers crossed that all goes well.
    I am not giving them all up there is no way. I will hide my Tokay, snake and tarantula until things calm down. I dont believe I can fight this one :( Will update soon.

18. Ace

Ace Elite Member

That's terrible I am really sorry..........

19. schlegelbagel

The apartment complex can't just change the rules. If its in your lease, it has to stick. You signed a lease and the lease didn't say you can't have reptiles, it's a CONTRACT. Now when you are up for renewal, they can ammend it, but for now, they can't. I would still at least contact the fire department and have it looked at. Having reptiles in a building won't cause the apartments insurance to go up, they don't cause damage. I could see large aquariums (water damage) or cats and dogs, but reptiles are in cages. People are acting ridiculous right now and I would be asking for proof first.

This sounds like a whole lot of uneducated people who are afraid of reptiles.

20. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah, I agree with Liz. On both points. As long as your lease doesn't prohibit them, you should not have to do anything until the lease is up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.