This Disappears When Logged In

I don't know what i want to do with my life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ofsthun, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

OK, I'm 22 now and I've been in the military for almost 3 1/2 years now... but... since I was a kid I've never had any goals I just did what I felt like doing one day at a time and still now I don't know what I want to do with my life or even where I want to be in 5 or 10 years. I really don't have a clue.

I have options I can chose to take but I really don't know because now I'm in a serious relationship with my girlfriend Joli who lives with me and we're moving into a house for just the two of us on Feb 1st and I still don't have any goals for my life other than to have at whatever I'm doing.

Is there something wrong with me because everybody I talk to asks me what I want to do when I get out of the miitary and I don't have an answer.

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I spent 20 years in a career until I figured out "what I wanted to be when I grow up".
    Very few people can actually answer the question you have. Make a list of all the things you love to do and figure out a job that goes along with them. It's not easy!

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Im 42 and still don't have a clue. Although I have a fairly good job,,,it's not fulfilling and I continually find myself asking "is this it ?". At those times I thank god I have my health and a loving wife and kids, dogs and herps I love to play with, and good friends to hang with. HAng in there,,,,you are not alone in those thoughts

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with Jay: make a list of things you love and things you love to do... and don't worry about careers or if there's money in it.
    I would have loved to be a marine biologist, herpatologist, zoologist, a writer, an actress, or one of those people who builds cool stuff for science fiction movie sets... BUT I was always told: "you can't do THAT, there's no money in it." or "You'll have to go to school forever!" etc.
    Now I have a highly paid job teaching English to Europeans, but it's FAR from any of "my dream" jobs!! (I have my painting which I love, but it's not my dream job either!)
    Try to get involved in as much of what you love as possible: even if it means volunteering -- you might get some ideas or meet people doing your dream job and doors will open to you.
    I just told my 18 year old niece "go after what you love NOW while you're young, energetic and have dreams. You can always change your mind or go for the money-making dull jobs later. It's a lot harder (but not impossible) to do it the other way around.
    You are DEFINITELY not alone!!!!!!!!!!

5. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Lots of sound advice here. Listen - a lot of us did not know at your age, and as Ken says, a lot of us still aren't really doing what we "want" to do. I know in my case I have a good job that has provided for me and my family and allowed me to travel and do the kinds of things I want to do. But is it "what I want to do"? No. I'd be a fishing guide, or maybe I'd work with animals in some way. But my job provides me the income to be able to do all those things on my own and still provide for my family.

Don't sweat it! Find a job that you can do well at, and set some goals within the framework of the job - they may not be your "life goals", but I bet if you find a job you excel at, you'll be able to start pursuing some of your passions as a result.

Greg

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Well said RD,,,when you provide for your family and see the love in there eyes,,,,,8 hrs a day 5 days a week isn't to bad of a sacrifice

7. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Absolutely, Ken! And good things happen as a result - heck, I got into herps because my son "wanted a lizard". Guess who's done all the research, care etc? (Not that I mind because I love it!) Now we're both learning together, and heck, even my wife agreed to pitch in with new chameleon (and I caught her baby-talking him this morning! :D )

Greg

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Now that's what it's all about !!!!!

9. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

Well... We've come across a bit of new information regarding my girlfriend and her college plan and my military situation. We just found out that Cisco Junior College here in Abilene has a brand new Registered Nursing Associates Degree and so Joli can get her RN while I'm stuck here in ABilene Texas in the military so I'll just finish my last 3 years here and then I can get out and move back to where I can start working to take over my Dad's business in Satilite System sales and installation back in the Seattle area where he brings in $100k a year and wants to turn it over to me in about 5 years or so.

Well all the advice in this thread has gotten me thinking today after my dillema last night so Thanks to everybody and I'll be around the board!!!

Chris

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Glad to hear your mind is more at ease Chris,,,hang in there man,,,,life's all about ups and downs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.