This Disappears When Logged In

I Don't Know What Else To Do For My Gecko, Help!

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Megan Porter, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Megan Porter

Megan Porter New Member

Hello Everyone,

This issue has been happening for a long time. My gecko (ever since I got her 4 years ago) has had spells of acting sluggish, and refusing to warm herself on the hot side of her tank. She will sleep all day and all night in her wet hide on the other side. She will eat, but then return to the cold side. This is concerning since they need to warm up to digest their food properly. So she has gotten quite fat as well (and I'm not overfeeding her).

BEFORE YOU ADVISE, THIS IS EVERYTHING I'VE DONE TO TRY AND HELP HER:

1. I've taken her to the vet twice. Both times they gave me different advise. Once they told me I was giving too much calcium and multivitamins. I since have switched to only giving supplements once a week. The other they suggested I use a thermostat to keep the temperature in the proper range.
    2. She lives in a 20 gallon reptile terrarium. It's nice and wide and has lots of things for her to climb on. She has a wet hide, and a warm hide.
    3. I use a thermostat to make sure the hot side is at the right temperature. Typically the temp is anywhere from 86 to 90 degrees on the hot side.
    4. Typically I feed her dubai roaches, giving her multivitamins once a week.
    5. Sometimes I reach in and place her on the hot side myself so she will get warm. She will bask for a bit but then return to the cold side. I know that the hot side is not too hot because I use a temperature gun to make sure the surface is in the right range along with a thermostat.
    6. I use heating pads. I have briefly tried small basking lights (though not recommended) to see if perhaps she would prefer that. She shunned those even more than the heating pads so I went back to using belly heat.

I am literally pulling my hair out over this at this point. If I had realized it was so hard to keep a leopard gecko happy I would have never gotten one. I feel like a bad pet mom but I've spent so much money and time trying to make her happy. Please any suggestions are appreciated. She seems to spend most of her time sleeping on the cold side, inactive, and when she is on the warm side her eyes are squinty as if she's hardly awake. Thank you.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Could you include a few pics of the enclosure, and describe more fully what you are using to measure temps and where the probe is located? You said a thermostat but do you have another thermometer?

3. Megan Porter

Megan Porter New Member

Yes I have another thermometer, as well as the probe for the thermostat. I also frequently check the temps with my temp gun. I'll send pics when I get home today from work. Thanks for replying :)

4. AmityReptiles

No problem. Your temps are probably right then. Along with the enclosure pics could you send a couple pics of the gecko? And is it the same time every year this happens?

5. Megan Porter

Megan Porter New Member

Yes I'll send pics of her as well. Come to think of it, it always happens in the winter. Then when it's Spring and Summer she starts to perk up again.

6. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

Don't leopard geckos hibernate in the wild? Maybe she is trying to go into hibernation?

7. AmityReptiles

Yes I agree it sounds like the lethargy is influenced by the winter, if so, that's completely normal! If you are having weight issues during this time maybe cut back on the food.
    But just incase there is something else going on still send some pics when you can.

8. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Have you tried moving her moist hide onto the warm end of her housing? Also, how is YOUR house kept sometimes this can influence how they heat themselves. I accidentally almost dehydrated my gecko these past few weeks before it hit me what was wrong. She could be staying in her moist hide because she needs that extra moisture. Because if you are living in a state that is very cold + dry from the cold I'm with the others and she might be trying to sleep away the winter. She is hanging out in that hide so she is maintaining moisture while she sleeps.

You also simply might have a very lazy gecko on your hands and the moist hide is her fave place because she doesn't have to move to drink. Which if that is the case you might wanna move it to the middle of the tank so she stays warmer or all the way over to the warm side. I personally would have done that a while ago to see how she acts. My geckos have all followed their favorite hides around the tank if I choose to rearrange their enclosures.

Don't feel like a bad pet parent pretty much everyone will get one of the trouble children.