This Disappears When Logged In

I Did It Again. Went and Bought a Pac Man Frog.

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by missa6849, Nov 7, 2010.

1. missa6849

missa6849 Guest

And it is soo cute. I named him Bowzer and he is about the size of a nickle. We got him home yesterday and he is in a 10 gal. aquarium. Temps are 76 to 80 with humidity of 80. I heard they burrow but why is that? Is it that he is getting adjusted, or that it is more cool in the substrate? And I know frogs do not like to be handled much, but does anyone handle theirs at all? And how hard do they bite? Here is a pic of him!...or it. :)

1106101558.jpg

Attached Files:

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Pacman frogs are ambush animals! They burrow down and wait for something to crawl by, jump out and OMNOM!

It does also cool them down, which is why you don't want to put the heat pad at the bottom of the substrate!

We handle ours...rarely. Usually like just for pictures or something. They bite HARD..Just think, it will one day be able to eat mice...(and you'll see on youtube, people feeding live mice that are still taken down by the frog before it can react, though YIKES I'd never do that) I got bitten by our baby when he was like halfdollar size, ouch! Still pinched!

we never see guacamole unless it's feeding time(or he's telling us it's feeding time)

3. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

As stated above, the pacman frog will burrow itself every chance it gets....I placed our heater on the back side of the tank, and I do use an overhead black light as well.. I use the eco earth. It tends to hold the humidity pretty well, and allows our Isabella to burrow down pretty good....to be honest, the only time ours moves is when she goes for a soak in her "pond", or she has just used the bathroom and has left a "deposit" in her old spot.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Cute pacman!
    I'm hoping to try again with pacmans in January, when I can pick one up at the next show.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What a little cutie Bowzer is! Hard to believe he's that small, he looks big, maybe its his mouth. Very cute, So for a full grow pac man frog, how large should there enclosure be??

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I keep my adults in 20 gallon tanks. Does them just fine because they don't move much.

I take Queso out every few days to feed him in a container. It's just easier that way. This usually does not equal a bite, but I usually get peed on.

7. missa6849

missa6849 Guest

Thank you everyone for the information and the oogling over Bowzer. Yesterday morning I woke up and went to check on him and freaked because I couldnt find him, so the bf came in and looked and found him burrowed almost completely! Too funny.

Today he is out and lookin around. I put a cricket in there and he lunged right at it! Im also pretty sure he was in his water sometime because I had to clean it out today :)

Ive watched some videos of very very angry pac man frogs. Besides not teasing them, is there a way to handle it without it being aggresive?

8. Medium

Medium Elite Member

What a cutie...congrats! I don't have a Pacman but you never know what I might be interested in next. Mine are Firebelly Frogs (Toads) Good luck with your new pal! As already said, handling should be minimal.

9. purplemuffin

Get ready, they grow fast!!!! When we first got the guac, he(Umm maybe she? Still is silent so... probably she right? Unless he/she isn't old enough yet) was small enough he could still move forward in a tiny little deli cup, like the ones in restaurants you put ketchup in!

[​IMG]
    He was about half dollar sized... Between a quarter and a half dollar

But then like, two months later, maybe a month and a half...Guacamole was already bigger than the cup itself! I wish we had saved it, I'll ask nathan to go to like a burger king and pick up one so we can give you a size comparison lol!
    [​IMG]
    Our more recent picture of him, I'll try to get an even more current one later :D

These guys are great fun to have! Ours is decently handleable, he just puffs himself up and only pees if you really scare the heck out of him! I think he knows if we're messing with him he's gettin' some treats! :) Like the earthworms he finally realizes he can eat!

10. mld

Guacamole looks great, what a little cutie, hopefully she/he ends up making some noise for you.

11. purplemuffin

Lol! I don't care either way, Nathan is the only one pouting! But he still loves him/her anyway! If it is a girl, she's gonna be big and awesome :) Thank you! He's very happy that he keeps getting bigger, it just means he can fit more into his tummy!

12. schlegelbagel

my two pacmans are never aggressive. I think they only get that way if you constantly pester and tease them. I had to give Queso meds every day for 3 weeks straight (parasites) and it was never an issue. He even stopped peeing on me towards the end. He's really good at letting me pick him up. He knows that means its dinner time. That's the only real time I handle him. If I do a photo session, its after dinner.

Just go at them from the back and not the front, you should be fine.

13. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Bowzer (Great name, btw) is so cute. They just grow up into these unstoppable eating machines! Good Luck with him(her).

14. schlegelbagel

Fuzzy photo, but you get the idea.
    1109101947.jpg

Attached Files:

15. mld

Hey Liz, is that Queso, what a big guy/gal.:x

16. purplemuffin

Queso is so big and cute!!! :D

Now we just need someone to buy one of those super red pacman frogs and name him salsa!

17. schlegelbagel

Yeah, that's Queso. He barks for us every day. As you can see, he's just sitting there in my hand. They calm down when they get older too.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Don't we all!;)

19. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

**snort** some of us do.... o:)

20. Boa

Boa Elite Member

The pacman frogs seem like unstopable eating machines, there always hungry.