This Disappears When Logged In

I Complained to Manager Today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Runningmom, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Because I saw this- image.jpg

Firebellied toads and anoles in same container. There were also two tortoises in a small enclosure but it was worse that a toxic animal was with other animals. :(

I also called my Petsmart that I usually go to and told them they are doing a good job. One of the managers of the reptiles has chameleons so it's a passion. That's why they have decent care for a pet store. The other place- not so much.

2. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Kudos! I dont know what some pets stores think...or if they do seriously.

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Some don't, they seriously don't. I just filed another complaint about my local Petland - 3rd one in less than 2 months! - and I have no idea what ever comes of these.

I think that should be a job requirement - anyone who manages a department in a pet store should be required to own at least one of that kind of animal. Just yesterday, I was dealing with another incompetent employee at said pet store I complained about, and she was saying to me "geez, you're so lucky to own reptiles. I wish I could, but was told I'm not allowed to because I can't even keep a betta fish alive, hahaha!" Shockingly, I did not find her as amusing as she thought she was.

4. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Kudos!!!! That anole didn't look too happy, poor dear!

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Minimum wage transient/college kid workers is all some of these places get to pick from. Not defending them at all just some background on hireing practices. I worked at 3 pet shops here in SB back in the 70's-80's, being a teen fresh out of high school I wouldn't think I would be any sort of expert but I was looked for every time there was a question. Everyone else on regular staff was "interested" at best in pets... mostly cats dogs or birds, reptiles where marginal at best, which is why I think I got the jobs so easy back than LOL.

Keep up the good work, I've been "that obnoxious customer" a few times because I said something out loud about conditions when many other customers where within ear shot :p That gets their attention >:)

6. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Well I may complain to corporate because the manager didn't act like it was all that important. I was nice. I even gave a bit of praise. Because negative concerns are usually taken better with positive right? This is the first bad experience I have had. I wasn't looking for it but that screamed Bad. No excuse for that- the fire bellied toads should be in a tank with filtered water at least. And by themselves. If corporate doesn't do anything I will go further. Possibly taking a care sheet in and showing that species shouldn't be mixed. It isn't fair to sicken the animals and it is wrong to sell sick animals on purpose. That makes me sad.

7. Majora

Majora Elite Member

You should complain to corporate. I don't know what chain this was at but at my company complaints about stores to corporate get taken pretty seriously. It's worth noting though that most chains (including mine) can't provide a filter system for any reptiles at store level. That would be something that corporate would have to implement for us to be able to do it. For the FBTs we give them the largest water dish we have and change it out several times daily.

At my store at least, not everyone knows much about reptiles but most of my coworkers are willing and eager to learn. There are about five or six of us who own/have owned herps. However between all of us we have owned every kind of pet in the store, and everyone has their own 'thing'. Some are more into fish, some into birds, etc etc. Our store has a very positive work environment so people tend to stick around and find their niche and become passionate about certain species even if they were just mildly interested when they started. When I started working at my store I had never had a pet of my own and never thought I could take care of a reptile, and now look at me. I totally credit this job with helping me find my passion in life, lol.

8. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

It was pet supplies plus.

Petsmart keeps their FBTs in a tank by where the fish are, in filtered water. It's a small tank, but they have a land area and places for them to hide and climb on. I called and told the manager there they are doing a nice job with the reptiles. The manager did say that they sometimes get sick animals but they have a vet that is knowledgeable about herps and they try to provide the best care. The CWDS and Beardies are always healthy looking. For a pet store it's pretty impressive. All the reptiles are pretty active and healthy looking who I have seen them.

But this just jumped out at me and it really upset me. I don't usually call and make complaints or voice my opinion mostly because it isn't needed. But, I do try to compliment places when an employee has gone out of their way or above and beyond their job duty (not just a pet store but in general). For example, one time we were to and the baby sitter ordered pizza. When it came, one of my dogs ran out the door. The pizza driver went running after my dog, and brought her back so my sitter wouldn't have to leave my kids alone! He didn't have to chase my dog, but he did, and returned her. I think she liked how he smelled like pizza because usually the dogs play the run and chase game lol. So I called the pizza place and explained to the manager that I wanted to thank who ever brought the pizza and caught my dog :). I doubt places usually get good calls. They probably get a lot of "you suck because..." Calls. Lol

9. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I called on a chameleon a few weeks ago. they have the little displays so cramped and devided up I swear they are using tarantuala tanks for some of them. Its sad and disgusting how they have been smooshing critters into these less than 5gal enclosures. Seriously I saw 3 beardies in a 3 gal the other day. Made my stomach turn.

The Cham I called on was all the way to the top of the cage almost pitch black and you should see that the light was burned out over the cage. the therm said 76 but I doubt it was that because the air vent was blowing straight down. He has his eyes closed and he looked emaciated.

10. Shoehornfarm

Shoehornfarm New Member

Agree!

I found this poor female Russian tortoise with claws so long they curled beneath her feet (and notice that lack of substrate-- there was nothing for her to wear claws down on either.) in Plover (Stevens Point) Wisconsin. I pointed it out to an employee and she quickly whisked it off to the back room saying it had shell problems, too (It didn't) and that she would take it to the vet. I feel horrible because I didn't believe that at all (That they would take her to the vet-- There is no way they're going to take a tortoise to a vet when their profit margin would never come close to covering it)... beside that-- it was 6:30 on a Saturday. Where did she put it? Felt HORRIBLE. I wrote to PetCo online and also sent an email with photos to the local humane society-- But unfortunately, I live over an hour away and can't check on the situation myself.

This beautiful (most likely wild caught) tortoise had to be 20 years old... so, so sad.

(sorry--wanted to post photos-- but it keeps coming up as an error)

11. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

These are sad stories. :(. Poor chameleon. And the tortoise.

12. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Complain to them as much as you wish... The changes don't start happening until you call Animal Control or your local humane society. I had complained 9 times in three months, all valid reasons... Nothing was changed.. Called animal control, went back the next day and all their snakes had been removed from their store.

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Glad I have a couple monthly show near enough to me to be practical, so that I no longer need to get anything from the local stores. Found out that one store owner that I thought really liked me now doesn't want to hardly speak to me because I'm not spending money at her store much anymore. Oh well, saves me from biting my tongue trying not to call her out on her poor husbandry.

14. Shoehornfarm

Shoehornfarm New Member

UPDATE:
    I did get a call from a regional manager after I tweeted a photo of the tortoise with a PetCo hashtag. She assured me she was going to the store tomorrow (thur 10/24) to make sure the enclosure was being properly maintained and said she would check on her tank mates as well.
    She also said there was a "well pet" area in the back room that was meant to house animals that were being kept from other animals because of health issues. (anyone work at Petco and know for sure it's there??) and that is where the Tortoise went.

The day after she called, I also got a call from the store manager, saying that she had taken the tortoise to a vet (I asked which one, and she told me without pause, and I know it to be a good vet clinic) and that the nails were trimmed properly and the vet also said the tortoise was in reasonably good shape except for it's weight, which is too heavy, so the tort was being put on a diet. (They seemed to be feeding it primarily shredded carrots and what appeared to be romaine (Or possibly ice berg, but I'm hoping it was romaine)-- Not the best diet at all.

Hopefully someone in/near Stevens Point (Or Plover) Wisconsin will adopt this beautiful, big tortoise soon...

15. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I'm glad that the stores around you care for their animals after issues are addressed. Wish more stores around here were like that

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes petco and petsmart both have temp cages in their back rooms for animals that are under vet care or need to be seperated due to aggression. Whether or not they use them is another story.
    I know that the petsmart in my city uses it when needed and all their animals get checkups on a regular basis. I see the managers at the vet office quite often.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Aside from the Taylor Reptile Expo, what other shows in the area??? I have been missing out!!!

18. AlexisFitzy

AlexisFitzy Active Member

That's terrible! I hate seeing that kind of stuff at pet stores. I get my feeders from Aquatic Critter and every time I go there the boas they have are always stuck in sheds! It is so irritating to see. I just want to take them home and soak them and get all the stuck sheds off. I really want to work there so I can take care of the bigger animals. The smaller ones look okay but still I wish I could take care of them all. Every time I go there I complain about them. I hate that this happens to the poor animals :(

19. Shoehornfarm

Shoehornfarm New Member

Hi-
    I'm the one that wrote about the Russian Tortoise with overgrown claws--

The way I got a very quick response from both the regional manager and the store manager (and learned the tortoise WAS taken to the vet!)-- Was posting the pictures on twitter-- first with the #PetCo and then again with @PetCo as well. I got a private message in a few hours asking for my contact information, photos, and the pertinent info sent to an email address. The address was: twittersupport@Petco.com (I believe my post was something like "@PetCo Why are these tort's claws so long? Where is the substrate? FIX THIS! #PetCo")

I sent them a lengthy (calmly written-- try to be professional about it) email outlining what happened in the store as well as what the ideal situation would be for the Russian Tortoise. That was on Sunday, and Monday I got a call from the regional manager telling me that the claws were overgrown and there was not enough substrate in the tank and I was absolutely right. She said she would be going to the store on Thursday to check the health and living situation of the reptiles and also the store manager would be taking the tort to the vet the next day.

On Tuesday I got another call from the store manager letting me know that the tort had come back from the vet, got a clean bill of health except for being overweight and having overgrown claws. I asked what vet she took the tort to, without suggesting any names (I lived in that town for 9 years and am aware of only one vet that is knowledgeable about reptiles. I currently live about an hour away from the town I saw the tort in, so it would be a while before I could actually check for myself) and she answered without pause that it was that vet (by name) and clinic that knows reptiles.

This is the power of Twitter and I want to URGE anyone else to use it if they see something and photograph something at a pet store that isn't proper or humane. All the bigger chains have Twitter accounts and you can do it right from the store the instant you see the issue. Also-- it lets all their customers (nationwide!) see it as well, and really puts a bit of pressure on for them to be little more urgent to correct an issue.--

(I suggested to the regional manager that PetCo have a spot on their website for concerned customers to send photos so that they can be aware of any pet care issues and concerns happening in their stores-- But even if they did do that-- I still think a nice, public Twitter posting would be better!)

20. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I found a GOOD Rep story to tell Finally....finally. I knew I had it in me. I found that creepy crawler in my yard last trip to my mailbox...but my walk is worth the treat this time of year. Unfortunately I had to squash him...because fear factor took over and I did not want another brown LARGE BUG in my yard that brought a FEMALE! I just have wasps right now that will take my head off...and we all know I won't keep that thing...EVER!