This Disappears When Logged In

I Bought a New Enclosure Today!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Runningmom, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

And it is in my dining room! I figure that is as good of a place as any. I was planning to get a water dragon. But my husband had looked on Craigslist and found a custom made reptile cage. The guy built it for an iguana that lived there for 15 years. It still looks new and it is 20 years old. Everything came with it- lights water bowls and food bowls. Everything. Even locks so the reptile cannot escape. It was such a great price. I have a friend whose aunt is giving away her Beardie. Kids all grew up and she is left with all the animals. She said she was giving the whole set up too. Free. I might take it all. Lol. I am really excited. I will try to post a pic of the enclosure. image.jpg

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's an interesting design...

As far as the beardie yes you should take everything it comes with. Even if you don't want the cage and stuff you can always sell it though I personally find extra cages are always handy.

3. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

I was thinking that. I don't know how big it is (the enclosure with dragon) but my friend is also getting a baby Beardie and said the people told her that 40 gallons is a good size for the dragon when it is an adult! I said that is bad advice. A 55 gallon for a baby is small enough.

The enclosure I got is 6 ft long by 4 ft tall i think. I have stuff to put in but it came with the climbing thing. It can come out but it lifts out of the top and I have to unscrew the crate stuff that holds lights

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Actually a 40g breeder (36x18x18) is the absolute minimum size for an adult beardie but in most situations that is just too small. The climbing thing is fine though I personally would wrap it in rope for easier purchase.

5. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

That is good idea. That will take awhile. There are rungs. Unless you mean wrapping the whole thing but not the Individual ones

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah wrap the whole thing so they can't slip in between the rungs

7. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

What a great deal!! Theres a guy up here in the phoenix area selling his old reptile cages . they are good prices.. just not what I want. found a solid wood "hutch" today at goodwill that could make an awesome furniture quality show tank for both my adults butttt.. im leary about goodwill items if I cant sanitize it. who knows what pesticides etc have been used on it. If its still there in a few weeks I may pick it up anyway. Congrats on your finds! May

8. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yeah sometimes stuff at goodwill isn't what you want. My husband found it on Craigslist. Funny because he said I couldn't get a lizard :). But he thought the price was good. Started at 700$ and I got that for 300$. Solid thing too. It has all the timers and light fixtures. It is basically two pieces. The top sits on the pedestal part on bottom and it opens on top for the lights and stuff.
    Right now it has that green outside stuff they sometimes put around pools. Not the carpet kind but the "grass". Is that ok? It is easy to clean but will it poke the lizard? I am inclined to use reptile carpet or paper towel anyway because the bottom is plexiglass and would scratch

9. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

WOW great pice!!! The "grass" is kinda hard to clean because the poo and stuff gets down in it and its rather a pain. Tile works well though. And you can put like a piece of felt under the tile to keep it from scratching the plexi.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with removing the astroturf. Not only is it going to be hard to clean, after a while the little blades of "grass" are going to break off and could get eaten. I would personally also remove the dowel rod climbing thing. It poses a hazard if a leg gets stuck and bearded are more terrestrial anyway so it will free up more floor space.

11. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

I am thinking about removing it although it is going to be a pain. Lol. I have to unscrew these things on top of the crate screen that holds the lights. The previous owner had to secure that so his iguana couldn't climb up into the lights. I was thinking it would create a way to get closer to the lights for basking.

I have tile I can use. Maybe I can put tile on top of the AstroTurf stuff?
    And if I end up roping the the climbing thing- do I secure that with silicone? Aquarium safe silicone of course.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I secured the rope on my climbing branches with hot glue and then siliconed over that but I admit this is probably overkill and silicone alone will work.
    I think it would be a better option to just rope the climbing things because all my beardies are incredibly fond of climbing. In fact Harley hardly ever gets off her branch. See: apr 23 2013 111.jpg
    Only time she ever comes down is to eat and thats only if I refuse to drop the worms on her branch in front of her. Sometimes-if I place her bowl close enough-she doesnt even get down to eat she will just get close enough and then hang off her branch in order to reach the worms.

13. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Harley looks like a happy girl! I realize they like land but there is definitely a long way from the top to bottom and even though there are three basking lights and a UVB light (long tube light fixture) I wouldn't know how to get the light to reach all the way to the very bottom. That thing inside mine probably worked pretty well for an iguana. I put some fake plants in mine for now. Definitely going to pick up some rope at Home Depot. I think I have the wrong kind. Mine is nylon. Wait. I threw that away because nice got into it. Never mind lol.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep go for the soft cloth/silky rope none of that rough plastic ropes.

15. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Ok that should be easy