This Disappears When Logged In

I Bought a Bearded Dragon

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by bradyloach, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonnysDragonS

SonnysDragonS Elite Member

That is not true! Mustard greens are one of the best greens to feed them on a daily basis!!

2. SonnysDragonS

Vers you really need to stick to giving your options to reptiles you have some experience with!! MVB would be overkill for such a small tank and mustard greens are a perfect green to feed daily to a bearded dragon!

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Merlin, you forgot to include this important tidbit...
    Feeding a lizard the stuff day in, day out in high quantities is simply not a good dietary regimen. That is my point. The idea is to provide a balanced diet--providing mostly brassica related greens is not a good idea.

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I totally disagree in regards to an MVB being overkill and already explained why. If you would like you can provide me with an example that states otherwise.

And FYI I DO have experience with bearded dragons.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

BTW, here is a couple shots of Toby, my first beardie, the day he came home
    6786154896_d179a14683_z.jpg
    And another a couple years later at my buddies apt in Florida
    2216911333_de8db065af_z.jpg

Attached Files:

6. SonnysDragonS

If that is a picture of him a couple years later he looks very tiny! A lot like a juvenile actually... You should have found out how to take proper care of him before you got him!

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I'm not entirely sure of when the second image was taken since it was over 5 or so years ago and I don't believe the EXIF data is accurate. It could have been a year after, I suppose, but I thought it was two. As for proper husbandry, that was provided while in my care, I can assure you of that. Unfortunately I had to give him up to a friend because I wouldn't have been able to care for him while away at college. The second picture was taken at his new owners place.

Also, care to comment any further on MVBs?

8. SonnysDragonS

By the picture... Which looks reall awesome! Looks like he is less then a year... Prob like 6-8 months! They are usually fully grown at a 10 months to a year!
    6a8c24f5.jpg
    Left is 9 months right is 1.5 years

Attached Files:

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Hmm, perhaps I need to do a little detective work on this. I could have sworn that I hadn't visited him until at least a year later but I suppose I could be off. It's hard for me to even remember what I did yesterday let alone ~five years ago :D

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats because we will not hold your hand and tell you that you are doing ok when what you post contradicts what you are saying. You have stated several times in this thread alone that you did research but I see questions that someone who did no research at all would post. How are we suppose to support inadequate husbandry?

Being honest and being rude are 2 different things. I haven't seen anyone being rude to you. I have seen several people say things you don't want to hear. That isn't them being rude though. I personally don't think you are knowledgeable enough to go out and buy any animal on a whim. Regardless of what you say I am capable of reading and your questions are not from someone who did research. You may have scanned a caresheet or 2 but you certainly didn't prepare for this animal by any standard. You responded to me that you were providing UVB then I see later in your posts that you need to buy a UV light. The members on HC are not here to support you in bad decision making like you seem to think. If your diet were wrong would you want me to tell you it is wrong and how to fix it or would you rather I rub your arm and tell you it will be ok? I am going to tell you when you are doing something wrong whether you like it or not. Thats how things get fixed and how animals receive the best care. If that doesn't work into how you believe the site should operate I suggest you find another site. I will warn you though, a few other sites I belong to would rip you apart for bringing home a dragon while asking questions even the most basic research would have yielded results for.

I agree with this statement 100%. I read each of the posts. Some of the posts go against what you want to hear. Again, that isn't any yelling at you. You are going to need to either grow some thicker hide or perhaps you need to visit some other sites where people are telling you how it is in the most uncensored ways so that you can see the difference between someone telling you something and someone "yelling" at you.

I don't buy this for one second! I have been reading your posts in this thread. You didn't do research before you bought this thing. You knew you had a tank and you saw him and bought it. THEN you may have flipped some caresheets around but your questions state clearly that you have no working knowledge of the species. It is one thing to buy something impulsively, many of us have, but when you go on and post some nonsense saying you read books, etc when asking remedial questions you aren't impressing anyone.

That is the most ignorant comment in this whole thread. He asked you questions because he saw things that are WRONG. You don't need advice, you need someone to hold you and tell you that you are great and have super care, which is not the case. The entire purpose of a forum is to get opinions. You need to get over yourself and start reading posts as they were written and stop taking everything you don't agree with and trying to flip it as being rude or negative.

That posts does nothing but tell me you aren't mature enough to have these animals as your charters. You can't even take constructive critisism without believing it is rude yet you want to tell everyone who reads this thread that you have done your research even though your care is subpar at best. Seriously? I know I won't hold your hand. I am not going to caress your shoulder and say it is ok. I think you need a dose of "grow up". If you don't want peoples opinions or are going to try and claim anything that doesn't say your dragon is "cute and great" as being rude or negative, then go post somewhere else. There are 50+ large forums online that would be more than willing to rip you apart for the decisions you have made. If you want constructive critisism by people who actually care about the animals then pull your pants up and start acting like it. We aren't here to make you feel good about offering inadequate husbandry. We are here to help you get it sorted so the animal is being cared for properly.

If it were being fed alone I would agree. You later post that most people just focus on one or 2 food items and that is how you base your advice. I base my advice on the fact that people are actually caring for their animal the way they should be and as such it should be included in the diet based on its high calcium content and the recommendations of either the caresheet or books. Goitrogens and oxalates are found in many vegetables. There is no one food that is perfect for these herbivores and omnivores. Mustard greens are great when added to a complete diet. Here is our feeding page. Feeding Bearded Dragons (Pogona vitticeps). Below each section is a link to our page that componently breaks down the calcium, phosphorus, fat, fiber, protein and kcal as listed by the USDA. We have mustard greens listed as well as turnip greens. When given properly they are great and loaded with nutrients. If they were fed alone they would be as bad or worse than anything else that was fed alone. That shouldn't dictate the advice we give though. If people aren't feeding their animals properly then its their husbandry that needs correcting, not the advice.

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I had to delete the last post made in this thread by bradyloach as a result of the name calling and rant that followed. Brady will be leaving HC according to the post. Too many people, myself included, have cussed him out according to his post apparently. I wish his animals the best. This thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.