This Disappears When Logged In

I Bought a Bearded Dragon

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by bradyloach, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Hey guys! I went to the pet store of some super worms, and I seen the perfect bearded dragon! It's been there for like 4 months, healthy as could be, and was in a 15 gallon, couldn't take it! I ha to buy him! I ha a 40 gal sitting at home so I bought it! I'm researching them lots! Bought a book. What are some good tips? Anyone
    ee3104f2.jpg
    ee3104f2.jpg

Just put a quick setup, give me tips to make it better :)

Attached Files:

2. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Posted 2 of the same pics my bad!
    1b3d6079.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How are you supplying UV? How are you measuring the temperatures?

4. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

UVB from one of the domes, measuring temps with a probe, can you give me some
    More info on the rich? Like what are there favorites

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

The number one suggestion I make to any pet owner is to always do your research and have your setup ready to go before you have the animal. It appears to me as if you set the wagon before the horse and succumbed to an impulse, kind of like you did with your sav. That said, what's done is done and now you have yourself a new beardie. Getting lighting and heating down is a priority. These animals, unlike your sav, need a UVB source. I'd suggest picking up a ZooMed 100 or 160 watt PowerSun MVB for heating and UVB. You will also need an additional light source on the cool end of the tank, ideally a 6500K daylight rated bulb. Make sure you have A LOT of light. You will also need a way to consistently and accurately keep track of temps--both and IR temp gun and a good digital thermometer are recommended. Basking temps should be in the 110f range, warm end temps should be in the 90's and cool end in the low 80's. You should also provide two snug hides, one on the warm end one on the cool end. The cast hides most pet stores offer, like the one you have, are not ideal hides for these lizards. You will also need to provide a solid diet. For details I'd personally recommend this caresheet. Waste no time getting this right.

6. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Deal, working on it now

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And this one
    Bearded Dragon Caresheet (Pogona vitticeps)

However, and I hate to have to bring this up, but throughout your monitor posts you have repeatedly stated that you lack the money to make changes that were recommended and now you have gone out and got the dragon.
    Getting everything setup just so for your monitor really should have been your first consideration before adding to your expenses.

8. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

My monitor enclosure is great! This beardie is my brothers, I bought it for him and teachig him... He's 17, and I have money! Just no space! Moving out soon and building the full size. Honestly this beardie is WAY better with me and my brother, then in that pet store or in a little kids bedroom eating 4 crickets a day. Deal? :)

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

He's cute! Congrats on the new baby!

10. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Thanks at least some support on herp center!! It's super rare

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

:) to be honest I'd much rather see impulse buys be made by people who atleast know the right place to look for info! Think about how many animals are sitting in cages that are too small, neglected, abused etc. Because they looked "cute" in the petshop. I have had rescued my fair share of these "rejects". I rescued a hamster, her nails where grown into her paw pads... The owners assumed their 6 year old was mature enought to care for her. "Flower" as we named her died in my hands 8 hours after she arrived here, atleast she was comfortable, warm and loved for her last moments.

12. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Yeah! Some people are just rude!

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

In the same sense the animal could have gone home to someone with a preexisting knowledge base...there are two sides to the coin. I have nothing against Brady, I just figured he might have learned from the last time. Still, I believe he will be able to get things done, hopefully sooner rather than later :)

14. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Yah, I'll get him some more stuff, basking temp is 109, I need a UVB tube getting one soon! Cool side temp is 72. Not to bad at all, I want tips not commands, sometimes you have to ask rather than tell. Example, when I first got my sav a lot of people told me what to do, that was so overwhelming that I almost brought her back, but some people on this forum like 3 of them out of 10 thousand actually helped me instead of getting angry at me for buying a pet, what if someone was pretty much yelling at you over buying a reptile the pet store said was easy? Not a good feeling!

15. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Brady, these aren't tips, they are necessities. Like I stated in the first sav thread you posted, people are not trying to offend you, they are offering you raw facts in an attempt to help your animal(s). You need to put your feelings on the back burner and focus on the task at hand--no one is mad at you. UVB fluorescents are OK, but you must ensure the dragon is within 8-12" of them; This is why I recommended an MVB. The cool side temp at 72f is on the low side, it should be at 75f minimum and ideally closer to 80f.

16. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Should I cover up the top of the screen with wood then?

17. Vers

Vers Elite Member

You can for now, I suppose. I think shifting the current lights over a bit and adding another bulb (a higher wattage compact fluorescent--again, 6500K) would help boost ambient temps a couple degrees on the cool end as well. Also consider adding a CHE or an IR bulb to maintain reasonable temps during the night cycle.

18. SonnysDragonS

SonnysDragonS Elite Member

No you don't have to... They don't need a lot of humidity... It would help but not necessary... A lot of the heat is escaping through the glass as well... If you can line 3 side if it with isaltion board... Like blue board that might help a little as well... Or just getting another low wattage bulb for the other side... Hey don't worry about all the **** people try to give you! You bought it! You love it! And it's your life! Just pick through all the yelling and look at the facts you need to give this little guy the best life you possibly can! Everybody has to learn somewhere and some how! And the best way in my opinion is first hand! You could have read 1000 books and care sheets and I guarantee you wod still have Tina if questions after you got it hone!! Congratulations!

19. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Yah! Thanks man! I have a sheet of wood all cut out anyways! I just fed him crickets, he's so fast!

20. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I want to make it clear, before anyone else gets the wrong idea, that no one is 'yelling' at anyone in this thread. As for learning things first hand, that's one thing, but investing in an animal without any knowledge or preplanned setup is not the right way to go about doing so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.