This Disappears When Logged In

I Am So Confused Please Help Me

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Lil.kateris, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Lil.kateris

Lil.kateris New Member

I have never had a reptile before and I am planning to get a leopard gecko. I have done a ton of research but I am a little confused on a couple important aspects. First, I already know that for now I am going to have to use a LED light so I will need to supplement D3 (I will be getting a larger tank soon at which point I will be definitely be getting a UVB light), but should I use both calcium powder with D3 and Vitamin powder with D3 or just one?

Also I have a heating pad already but I havent found a straight answer for if I need both the heating pad and a basking light (probably a very stupid question but I'd rather feel stupid then harm my gecko)

One more thing......can I get suggestions on which powders to use please? Thank You!!!!!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok. Leo's do not require UVB light. They are nocturnal. As long as there is a day/ night cycle they will be fine. I just used the ambient light in the room.
    You need vitamins and calcium with D3 to dust the feeders and a small bowl of plain calcium for them to lick.
    The source of the heat is not important as long as the correct conditions are created. Heat pads are preferred for belly heat and basking spots.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I will respectfully disagree with Merlin regarding offering UVB exposure, because they have been recorded basking in early morning sunlight in the wild, they are crepuscular, not "nocturnal" meaning active mainly at dawn and dusk. Supplements are mostly pure guesswork, easy to over/under do, but you should provide the plain calcium in a dish as Merlin suggested and make sure the feeders are well fed.
    If you intend to use a UVB tube I would recommend a 2-0, which is quite low in UVB.
    If you need a link I`ll put one up...

4. Lil.kateris

Lil.kateris New Member

yes please! but do you both agree that im okay with just a heat mat?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There have been thousands of generations of leopard geckos raised without UVB lights. While it won't hurt to have them it's not a neccessity.

7. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

With my leo, I've found that using a UVB light for her day-night cycle seems to promote more "natural" behaviors (i.e. not just hiding in her hide all day, being more active during the hours that she's supposed to) than just a normal day-night cycle with my room lights. As Murrindindi said, they're crepuscular, not nocturnal, and I'm in favor of using a low-level UVB for them. I use a reptisun 5.0.

While there's no obvious evidence that it's harming them, like there is with bearded dragons and similar, how many studies have actually been done on that? (I would actually love to read some if you happen to know of any! It's an interesting topic.)

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I will ask this question (only to clarify the issue); if they don`t need UVB exposure why offer supplementary D3 which is mostly pure guesswork, anyway (even to the feeders, if not directly to the gecko)?

10. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

Thank you Murrindindi! I appreciate the link to the study and the corresponding UV index of specific brands- I'm enjoying reading it.