This Disappears When Logged In

I Am Interested in Getting a Frog or Toad Soon.

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by savannahmon181, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

I am looking in getting a frog or toad. I am very experienced with reptiles I have a savannah monitor and a red tail boa and have had many snakes in my life. I have always loved frogs/toads and would like to get one. I was just wondering what kind would be good for me feel free to ask questions to help me out more I just know how much you all know about your herps, and know how much you could help. Thanks

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Could you throw us a bone here?
    Something small, large, communal, aquatic, arboreal, terrestrial?
    How much are you looking to spend, how big of a cage will you provide?
    Do you want something hearty or delicate?
    Wild caught or imported?

3. savannahmon181

I would like a frog that is terrestrial and large I was thinking of a pacman frog or something similar. Money isn't a huge prob no matter what I get I will prob spend a lot on it.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'll be the first to admit, if you want an active ground dwelling frog, a pacman is NOT it. HAHA. They spend a good amount of time buried and just sitting around. Tomato frogs are great ground dwelling frogs and can live in a 20 gallon tank.

Then there is the massive Pyxie frog, who can get up to 4 lbs if its male. You would need a 40 long tank for him.

There are also a whole lot of toads out there, however 99% of the ground toads are wild caught, which makes me sad. :(

5. savannahmon181

Pyxie frog never new about them. I checked out a care sheet pretty sweet frog I am going to have to see how easy it will be to get ahold of one. Thanks

6. schlegelbagel

They are pretty common. Watch out, they are AGGRESSIVE and really don't like to be bothered. Mine likes to bury himself a lot, and it will cost you a small fortune to feed them.

Have a good care sheet.
    Pyxie Care sheet

7. savannahmon181

how much a week in food??

8. schlegelbagel

Well it depends on the season and age. Right now mine is buried again, so he's eating nothing! BUT when he is out and about, and because he is growing, I'm feeding him every other day. Remember, he's only about 1/4 grown.

At a feeding, he can eat up to 2 dozen large crickets, or a dozen earth worms, or 3 fuzzies. (I'll be switching him to hoppers as soon as I run out of fuzzies). He also likes superworms and has eaten up to 15 in a sitting.

9. savannahmon181

dang pigs huh

10. schlegelbagel

Its like, the garbage disposal of the frog world.

11. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Cane toads are nice as well :) Mine is 6 years old and not fully grown yet! they need at least a 40 long tank since they can grow to up to 1kg. They eat a lot too! one feeding is about 50 large crickets and plenty of superworms. They don't hide and spend a lot of time in a water bowl look at you with there big eyes. Here Is a pic of mine

[​IMG]

12. venus

venus Founding Member

They remind me of the way english bulldogs stands lol

13. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Oh I really like the cane toad you posted. How common are those?

14. schlegelbagel

Not too common over here in the states. Majorly invasive species in Australia. Australia would like us to take as many as we can... I don't think we are allowed to import them.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And by the way they are TOXIC!

16. savannahmon181

Yeah local kids in Australia will get them all ****ed off so they start ozzing there toxins out and will lick em to start tripping out

17. savannahmon181

He is way cool though

18. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

ive had mine since november and I think his glands stopped working....he is 6 years old. I tried once to see if any toxins would come out never saw anything. he does have some on his skin anyhow(they do have a sort of smell) but they are pleasant frogs, I let mine rome my office room and he goes everywhere.

19. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Wow well then....I don't think I will get one. Very pretty to look at though. I will admire from over here :):) I like poison dart frogs. Although I am confused. I read a lot that if they are captivity breed they lose their toxins.

20. schlegelbagel

It has nothing to do with being captive bred. It has to do with their diet. In the wild, there are certain bugs they eat, which help the frogs become toxic themselves. In captivity, we can't possibly give them the varied diet they get in the wild, and they lose their toxic-ness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.