This Disappears When Logged In

I Am Going to Buy First and then Learn.

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by wildheart, Aug 24, 2009.

1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

:eek: It is true.

When we were at the vet we saw a Reptile Show pamphlet first weekend in October. They have frogs on the picture and I LOVE frogs and our pet shops do not keep them, so this is an opportunity!

I have forest's old cage that I told you about, it is now filled with nascar cars and a ferrari, but I think it is time for them to get out! :p Remember it is a tall cage, it is 700 wide, 1.8m high and 600 deep, that should be 70 inch high - 28 inch wide and 23 inch deep. I think the cage is suitable for something arboreal.

I want a frog/toad that makes loud sounds at night. From the threads I have learned that only the boys do that, is there a way of seeing if it is a boy?

2. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Gee you could get a colony of Green Tree frogs (Whites tree frogs, Litoria Moorie)

3. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Ok, so if I get more than one of the same species, does that mean that I need to quarantine all of them and for how long?

Can I mix certain species and if yes, please give me a short list so I can print it and take with me.;)

I have the cage, loads of lights of all wattage, heating pads and an unused humidifier. I suppose all tree frogs will appreciate plants and climbing stuff? Do they want a big water dish? What about substrate? I know what works for one frog would not work for the other, but at least I can get sort of prepared.;)

4. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

You can't mix species but there are lots of lovelies out there! Liz has a 90 gallon set up posted. I will try to find the link...

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

How many frogs will you suggest in my enclosure? Do they even like being together or does it not matter? How am I going to quarantine them, or should I take them to a vet rather, instead of quarantining - or should I do both?

I have tooooo many questions.:eek:

6. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I would think that if you did get a couple of the same frogs from the same breeder you wouldn't have to quarantine them separately because they have all been exposed to the same environment etc..

Not sure on that one though. Of course the vet is always a good idea too.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Well, if its october, you are doing research first, the buying. ;)

These numbers are not working out. is the 700 measured in centimeters? Because that puts it at 22 feet, which I seriously doubt. Remeasure and be sure to tell me the units.

White's Tree frogs (Litoria caerulea) are great starter frogs. They are more hearty than most. We have a care sheet on them here. If you buy them all from the same breeder all at once, they do not each need to be separately quarantined.

There is no way to say which are male and female when they are younger. Once they are older, if you play a recording of them chirping, the boys should answer. I would get a good mixture of boys and girls.

Check out this website, it goes into great detail about different frogs and their care. It might give you more options than you realize are out there.

Amphibiancare.com >> Amphibian and Reptile Information Resource

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Ja-No that is definitely wrong!:eek: It should be 700mm which is equal to 70cm. Craig always measure in mm.;)

The frog on the pamphlet is bright green on top and it seems like the belly is cream/white. I know it does not certainly mean that they will have that type of frogs, but, maybe I'll be lucky.

A good mixture - how many are we talking?

9. jclee

jclee Active Member

Most frog species aren't "social," so the real factor of a group is knowing if/how agrressive or territorial the species is. How many go into the enclosure depends on size of the frog and the enclosure. For most frogs that are ~3 inches long when fully grown, I give about 5 gallons per frog, but different people have different rules of thumb. Since the tank you have is taller than it is wide, I'd look into treefrogs, since they'll get the most from the space that you have.

Regarding quarantine: some people only quarantine for 30 days, while others quarantine for a minimum of 90 days (which is probably the safer bet.) If the frogs were all kept in the same enclosure at the expo, they can be quarantined together (since they'll already have been exposed to each others parasites, if there are any). Otherwise, separate quarantine is preferred. The longer the animal is quarantined and symptomless, the more certain you can be that the animal is not suffering from an infection. Generally, it would be suggestion that you only get one or two animals at a time, rather than a whole bunch at once, but I think that's more about ease of quarantine and isolation than anything else. Since it sounds like the reptile expo doesn't get to your area too often, this might not be an option.

If you can set up the tank and experiment with heating and humidity levels, that would help you know which species will thrive in your enclosure. Whites tree frogs (Litoria caerulea), grey's tree frogs (Hyla vericolor or H. chrysoscelis), and green tree frogs (Hyla cinera) are often recommended as good beginner-level frogs, because they can be a little more forgiving of temp/humidity fluctuations than other species.

*I walked away in the middle of typing to have a smoke break. Sorry if I'm repeating what others just posted in the time it took me to pollute my lungs. :)

10. schlegelbagel

27.5 wide x 70.8 tall x 23.6 inches = 194 gallons which is HUGE.

You can easily put 12-15 White's tree frogs in that. Maybe you want to consider Giant Waxy Monkey tree frogs (Phyllomedusa bicolor) instead. They would appreciate the larger space although you couldn't have that many in that area. I'd stick to 8 or less.

All frogs are going to require the same amount of coverage, so you can start getting the enclosure ready now. Get lots of live, non-toxic plants and maybe add more cross branches of different widths.

11. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thanks for all that helpful info. Yes, it is very seldom that we have expo's, in fact, this will be the first that I attend. I've been looking for frogs for a looooong time, I don't know why our pet shops do not keep them.:(

I have to admit, I know NOTHING about keeping frogs, that is why I want as much info as possible. We all know that the people at the expo will try and feed me bull and will sell as much as possible - for their own sake.

I want lots of beautiful sound in my house, so which ones sing the prettiest song or are they mostly the same? I agree on the arboreal, otherwise it will be lost of wasted space.;)

12. schlegelbagel

Well, the white's kind of sound like a barking dog. Red eye tree frogs sound like chatter. I don't think they have "pretty song" they just make noise.

Your best bet is to google different species, and then find video of the various frogs and see the sounds you like.

If you want song, get a bird ;)

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Hie-hie, I can believe that I call it a pretty song now, UNTIL I have them.:D

14. LovetheBaruu

The colors of the WTF varies too. There is one that is called "blue phase" http://www.herpcenter.com/tree-frogs/25239-new-blue-dumpy-tree-frog.html Og has one. The color of individual frogs may vary from day to day. They have a lovely budda pose (check out Liz's avatar). I have seen enclosures with nests set up for the frogs, it looks so cozy. You are going to have so much fun setting up the enclosure!

15. schlegelbagel

Yep for the colors. Here are all mine. Some look the same in this photo, but I can tell them all apart. And some days Peanut Butter looks like a blue phase. I have no idea where Greenie gets that lime green color.
    everyone.jpg

And remember, frogs are a hands off kinda animal. No setting them on your shoulder for hours on end, definitely no 3 hours a day of attention. I used to let Grace sit on my shoulder while I was cleaning tanks, but she kept trying to leap onto the dish washing detergent bottle, and I can't imagine that would be good for her.

DSCN0316.jpg

Frogs being silly. I will say, the White's have the most character out of all my frogs. Henry, my African Pixie frog would be next in line.
    FunnyGuys.jpg

Attached Files:

16. LovetheBaruu

ROFLMAO. Looks like they are mooning you in the last picture, great! I know I don't need anything else...:rolleyes:

17. schlegelbagel

That's Gracie's most bizarre sleeping position yet. She's wedged in between two bits of plexiglass, just snoozing away with her arms all out.

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Liz, that is really awesome!

Ah thank goodness for that, I mean, I already spend 3 hours with the ig, 1 hour each with the dragons, I definitely do not have more time!:p

We measured the cage to the tee this morning: 1.22 meters high - 90 centimeters wide and 60 centimeters deep. How many froggies will be able to live comfortable in this cage?

Thanks for the tip to google them for a video, I'll definitely do that!

I saw a phone number on the pamphlet that I will call, maybe he can put me in contact with the frog people. I dont want to put my mind on a specific frog and then be disappointed when they dont have it.

19. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

LMAO @ those frog pictures Liz! They are very funny aren't they? hahaha :)
    And those colors are wonderful.

20. schlegelbagel

I can't really answer that until I know what type of frog you are going to get. I can give you a basic estimate though based on size.

What you have is 48" x 35" x 23" = 167 gallons

If you were to put whites tree frogs in that, I would say you could go with 12 more or less. If you chose a smaller frog, you could go with more. Larger frog, less.