This Disappears When Logged In

I Adore Poison Dart Frogs, but Have Some Questions

Discussion in 'Poison Dart Frogs' started by graduationxday, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

I have decided I want to get some poison dart frogs.
    But its gonna take alot money saving and much planning. x]

They're so completely gorgeous and interesting to look at.
    And from what I've been reading, it seems PDF's are relatively easy to care for.
    This is where I've gotten most of the information I have...
    Poison Dart Frogs Poison Arrow Frogs Dart Frogs & Exotic Tropical and Carnivorous Plants with Terrarium & Vivarium Supplies by Black Jungle Terrarium Supply

My Questions:

I'm not sure yet which specific kind I want...
    I prefer a kind that's not just green and black.
    I like the blue ones the most... but I don't want just one color.
    Can the same species of PDF be different colors?
    Like can there be blue, green, yellow, ect. ones that are all the same species that can be kept together?

I was also wondering that, if there isnt one specific species that have color variations, if I could keep two species of PDF's together without causing problems, if they're the same age and size?

Are there species of PDF's that you can keep more than one male and female together in a cage without aggression?

How large of a tank would I need to comforably fit four or five PDFs in as well as the plants and everything else I'll be putting in there?

I have to get off now... Bedtime. Can't be grumpy tomorrow. lol
    I'll check this either in the morning or tomorrow afternoon or night.
    I am most likely going to a reptile show Friday, the Dixie Reptile Show in Birmingham Alabama.
    I'm sosososososo excited.
    My first reptile show, lol.
    I dunno if there will be frogs here...But I love everything else too.
    I know there have been spiders and salamanders because of pictures, so it wouldn't suprise me.

But anyways, thanks for looking at this ya'll, and I know there will be some replies before i look at it again.
    Thanks in advance.
    :]]

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: I Adore Poison Dart Frogs, but Have Some Quest

PDFs are one frog I'm not familiar with and we haven't had much discussion about. I know SurvivorSteph is doing a lot of work to get a tank together.

Most shows do have some dart frogs. You can also find them online.

Check out Dendro Boards (not sure on the actual web addy, you'll have to search).

I do know they don't need huge amounts of space, like a whites tree frog or a marine toad would need. For 5 or so I think you can get away with a 40 gallon long. They don't like it too hot and don't like it too cold, and get used to raising fruit flies before you get them. if you can't raise fruit flies they will starve and die. Maybe pick up a starter culture kit at the reptile shown and get started.

I also know you can mix certain ones, but you have to be careful and research what kinds. Like Tincs with Tincs.

3. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I have been doing a TON of research on PDFs. And that's my main advice to you... read, read, read. More than just online, too. When you're at the herp show, look for books. I'd recommend: Poison Dart Frogs by Amanda and Greg Sihler and Barron's Reptile and Amphibian Keeper's Guides: Poison Dart Frogs by R. D. Bartlett. You'll also want to get a couple books on building naturalistic habitats. The Black Jungle site has a great slide show explaining how to build one.

I'll try to answer your questions one by one...

That it does! And planning is KEY.

Certain species are easier than others. Dendroboard Caresheets has a sheet on specific species, and a great sheet on why NOT to mix species.

Very good source... see also the Dendroboard link above.

Leucomelas can be yellow/black or orange/black, but they're the same species. Some Tinctorius have blue bottoms with black spots and black/yellow stripes on their backs. The more research you do, you'll eventually find the species that most appeals to you... just be sure you stick to a "beginner" species! ;) Most keepers recommend AGAINST mixing species.

With PDFs it's not really a matter of how many males, but how many females. Many times it's the females that are aggressive... I've read stories where dominant females have sat on the head of subordinate females and drowned them.

The general rule of thumb is: about 5 gallons per frog for larger species (tinctorius and azureus); about 3 1/3 gallons per frog for medium frogs (leucomelas and auratus); and about 2 1/2 gallons per frog for small frogs (thumbnail species).

Good luck, and keep the questions coming! :)

4. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

If you haven't checked them out already a couple of sites have been helpful in my research as I too want to get some later on down the line. Dendroboard.com is a great site as has been mentioned already, as well as Dartden.com. Lots of info on those sites.

It seems the hardest part of keeping darts is the enclosure, lots of money will be spent on getting the enclosure right and it takes about a month or so to let it mature and make sure you don't have any problems such as mold, humidity too low, messed up false bottom, so and so forth. The key to dart frog keeping is patience. It's hard to have a tank with everything in it finished and not be able to put any darts in it but it'll be worth it in the long run for both you and the frogs. It may also give you some extra time to save some money up for your frogs because I guarantee you'll blow a good chunk of money on the viv.

Hope that helped a bit and good luck! Keep us posted on how it all goes!

5. SurvivorSteph

It will also give you time to get the rhythm of growing flies! ;)

6. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

Don't get too stressed out, I have 4 PDFs they dont need aloooot of space. Mine eat fruit flies that I buy at the herp store I'm working in now :D and I have a fogger in my tank. *looks nice!* I have 2 green and black, one golden, and one blue and black.
    I needa post pics. o.o I have alot of new herps since ive been gone. lol

7. graduationxday

Thanks to all of you.
    Ya'll have been very helpful
    :]

I'll go check out some of the places that have been mentioned.
    Thankss

..Wait.
    The pet store I get my crickets and meal worms from now doesn't have those flies.
    I don't think we have a herp store anywhere near...
    I'm going to a repltile show tomorrow, most likely.
    Someone said I could get a culture kit thing from there...
    I have no earthly idea how to handle any of that whatsoever. lol
    Is it difficult?
    How much does the kit cost?

8. graduationxday

Awh man. The DendroBoard thingy won't let me view it if I don't have an account, and they're all picky about how old you are and stuff.
    They'd have to get documentation if you're under 18..
    I'm 14.
    x]

I guess that's kinda outta the question.
    :\

9. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Oh dang, that sucks man I'm sorry. If you buy a culturing kit online, they're about 50 dollars. You might get one cheaper at the expo. While you there, you can talk to them about how to do it. There's also some good info on the net, so you can do some research before you go and then clear it all up with them.

10. graduationxday

Fifty dollars?!?
    Geezzz
    Maybe I will find one cheaper. lol
    I was wrong about the date, it wasn't yesterday, its today.
    We're about to go.
    I'm excited.
    But yeah, I was planning on talking to people about pdfs and the flies. :]

11. graduationxday

There wasn't a culture kit... or poison dart frogs. :\\

12. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Aawweee tuff luck my guy. How was the show besides that? It was your first one if I remember right. Was it all that you thought it would be?

13. schlegelbagel

Try this. Dirt cheap. I didn't think $50 sounded right. I have ordered stuff from this site before, its all home grown, good quality stuff.

Josh's Frogs

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/fflies.html

14. graduationxday

It was my first show. It was sooooo cool.
    I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer on the pdfs though, cause I bought a little rough green snake.
    I named him Sprite.
    I'll post a picture of him if you wanna see him. He's so gorgeouss.
    That'll be a while though, they're so expensive.
    I saw some cute baby ones though, and I about died.
    They were adorable!

But yeah, the show was so amazing. There were so many pretty snakes and lizards.
    I've grown to like Corn snakes alot, the ones with Candycane coloration, i think is what it was.
    And its now a life goal of mine to own an Emerald Tree Boa. They are so gorgeous.

I'm still wanting some pdfs though.
    They're so pretty.
    I need to save up for a tank and all that though.
    I already had all i needed for Sprite.
    My boyfriend's giving me his 20-ish gallon high tank for him.
    I have him in a 10 gal with lots of climbing places right now while I'm waiting.
    It won't be long.

15. graduationxday

Oh, today I was thinking...
    I had been planning on using a little water fall piece I had in my Mountain Horned Dragon cage for my future PDF's, but could it cause them harm?
    Could such small frogs like, get stuck in it or anything? Drown?

I'll look online for a picture of the one I have to show ya'll.

16. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Water falls are fine, as long as you do it right. They are a great addition to your set up.

17. schlegelbagel

PDFs do just fine with small waterfalls. If the dish is so deep they could drown, add a few rocks for them to cling to. They will use it and it will add humidity.

18. SurvivorSteph

I buy my culturing supplies from Josh's Frogs. I find the mix to be fantastic; I really had an increase in the quantity of flies produced after I switched to Josh's mix.

Good stuff and a great price!

19. graduationxday

Okay good. :)
    Thank you all, so much!

20. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

You bet! Good luck in the future with your darts and keep us posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.