This Disappears When Logged In

Hygrometer Issue

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Relentless, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Relentless

Relentless Member

So I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a built in hygrometer in my retic's viv. The unit works great, but I noticed that the humidity has been reading 99% for over 24 hours consecutively and it concerned me. I just didn't think it could be that high constantly, there was just no way.

I made some adjustments to the bedding to try to bring it down, but to no avail. Finally I took the unit out and tested it by leaving it in another cooler room that definitely would have lower humidity, obviously. It still wouldn't go down so I knew something was up. On closer inspection I could see there was condensation in the little vents on the left and ride side of it which was clearly the cause of it reading so high all the time. I cleaned it out and then stuck it back in the viv. It is still reading high (I think) but not as high. I am going to check it again in the morning and see if it goes back up.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution of some sort or an easier way to read humidity levels without getting a faulty reading?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Unfortunately because of the small quarters in which they are used. I think they are more prone to failure than they should be.
    I'm not sure if the pricier "reptile brand ones are any better. Likely produced the same with a different coat on.

I kind of go more by the dampness of the substrate at the corners of the enclosure more than the hygrometer I have inside.