This Disappears When Logged In

Hybrid Identification Help.

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Solk95, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Solk95

Solk95 New Member

This dude was given to me as a Jurassic king snake, which is a pretty bogus term from what I can tell. I think he may be a jungle corn or something along those lines. Any ideas as to possible mix's would help. I'm trying to put together a care plan(temps, humidity, etc). A group on Facebook said he had some rat snake characteristics but I'm not sure. He's maybe 2 feet long with a wild streak. Bit of a firecracker. Burrows a ton more than previous corns and Kings I've owned.
    I'm in FL and I Know hybrids are common down here. Just trying to get a better idea of who I'm dealing with. For now I'm treating him like a corn. Attached some pics, he's pretty ticked in the last one, doesn't like coming out of the tank but does fine after, pretty normal ime.

Attached Files:

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I would bet on a Jungle corn. Doesn't look like it has rat blood to me, the eyes aren't right. No way to know for sure though without seeing the parents.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

The extra burrowing is probably from it having a more wild temperment.

4. Solk95

Solk95 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I think his attitude is from the move so I'm trying to give him some space to let him settle in. I had to change the substrate though because it smelled pretty rank.

He was also on a diet of 1 small fuzzy every other week but I plan to bump him up to weekly feedings, not sure of his age but he doesn't seem too big.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Technically a cornsnake is a ratsnake. They are commonly called a red ratsnake.

6. Solk95

Solk95 New Member

Normally when I refer to rat snakes I'm talking specifically about alleghaniensis
    But I understand how my post could be confusing.

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Looks like a California king snake was one of the parents.

8. Solk95

Solk95 New Member

General consensus says Cali/corn so we are gonna go with that. I believe that's called a jungle corn. He's been doing well and has a crazy feed response.