This Disappears When Logged In

humidity

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by SKULLMAN, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

having trouble keeping up my humidity in my brb tank,it's 36L 12W and 18H.i'm mistting 2 times a day and can't keep it over the 50% range,i was thinking a towel over the top but don't know if this will help.any info would be great.

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

You could put plastic wrap over half the tank or get a peice of glass or acrylic cut to fit over half the tank. I don't think a towel would work, it might soak up even more moisture. You may also want to conisder a different substrate if its becoming a problem, somthing more porous that will absorb some water will increase the humidity.

3. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

What are you using currently for water, and to heat the enclosure, lights will dry out enclosures, and make it even harder to keep the humidity that brazilians need. Good to hear that you are covering part of the screen top, you can try plastic wrap for that, apart from misting be sure to have a good substrate, such as cypress mulch, which can be moistened down, and you always will be able to tell when it will need to be moistened, also you could try putting a decent sized water bowl in the enclosure, they do enjoy soaking themselves, especially with sheds. Hope you can get the humidity situation under control.

4. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

their is also a humidifier available for reptile tanks. I have one for my white's tree frog and it keeps the humidity over 50% if i mist ever so lightly in the morning. Usually, if i mist lightly in the morning, the humidity stays at 70-80% with the humidifier. I also have shagnum moss as substrate. I found mine at petco..here's a link to it on another website Click Here It works by an air pump the pumps air through a chamber and then water vapor in pumped into the viv through an air tube. I love it, works great!

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Humidity is a tough one! You'll have to try out different things for your particular set-up to see what works best. If you use a towel to cover the part of the top, make sure the towel is damp, not dripping wet. You can cover quite a bit.

I've found it a good idea to have a moist hide box filled 1/3 with damp sphagnum moss in the enclosure. Keep that misted and if they need more himidity, they'll use it. Here's the one I use for Monty. It just has one hole in the front. Don't punch a bunch of other holes because that will reduce the humidity! Put it on the warm side of the tank. http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?p=19036#post19036
    (You'll probably need a bigger one for Kaa, but it doesn't have to be too big: they like it cozy!
    Other than that, I have a branch and hang moss and fake plants from there which I mist every day too. The idea is to increase the air humidity as much as possible... if you wet the soil too much, you can grow mold. I only spray the soil on the warm side of the enclosure, so that the heat evaporates it... on the cool side it just gets fuzzy.
    I just bought a "Super Fog" humidifier from Lucky Reptile. I haven't installed it yet, but I'm hoping it will cut down on my misting duties.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.