This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity Questions

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by akbaby907, May 23, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I've got a twenty gallon long tank with a screen lid, and I've been laying plastic (cut-to-size either ziplock bags or heavy duty trash bags) on the top for now. I was wondering what kind of tape would work best to keep it together despite humidity?

Also, I know it's harder to keep humidity in glass tanks with screen lids, but I was curious if it's only the lid that causes the problem. Would a custom-built lid eliminate the humidity challenge? Of course, it would have to allow for proper ventilation and such.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What are you housing?
    Yes if you made a custom lid to fit over the edge you would be able to control humidity better with installed vents in the top.
    However if moderate to high levels of humidity you require then the lid (if made of wood) would need to be waterproofed extremely well or it will not last very long.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Sealed plywood is probably the best readily available material. Cut it to fit your tank, make any necessary cutouts for fixtures, and seal it with 3 coats of polycrylic. Vents will only be needed if you have no fixtures going through the lid. We can't be more specific until we know what your keeping in there and how it's set up.

4. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Central American boa.