This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity Problems

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by SPruitt22, Aug 30, 2018.

1. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

I own a jungle carpet python, 12X12X18in. I moved to Colorado, which has a lot less humidity than my snakes and I are used too. In her enclosure, I currently use forest floor substrate, a small water dish, and an imagitarium humidity gauge. I mist twice a week but can't seem to get the humidity gauge to read over 40. I did cover the screen top with tin foil as shown below and it helped but not as much as I hoped. Should I buy a larger water dish or is there something else I should do? I have read that JCP needs a humidity range from around 40 to 60, but from what my gauge shows that I am rarely not below 30. Any help would be appreciated. IMG_6563.jpg IMG_6560.jpg IMG_6561.jpg

2. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Your analog humidity gauge could also be faulty. I myself prefer to use digital ones and I go an buy just any indoor/outdoor weather reader that reads both ambient temperature and relative humidity. Also, I see you have the gauge right at the top of the cage and close to the heat bulb....which is to be expected to throw the readings off if you want accuracy. If you were to move the gauge to the middle of the cage or lower, I'm sure you'd see it show a different number

3. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

I did not know that. I will move the gauge immediately. I moved it to the other wall away from the heat lamp and placed it in the middle of the wall. Is that a better spot or should it stay on the side with the heat lamp? Thank you.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Twice a week won't do much with that enclosure.
    Those habitats are useless as designed for most reptiles. Not sure really who is the moron that invented them.
    Screening is the enemy when attempting to raise humidity. Try to close off as much as possible, especially around the lamp.
    Ideally the heat source should be inside but you would need to cut off access to it form the snake.
    • close off all screen as much as possible
    • get a digital hygrometer
    • mist morn and night
    See what that does and go from there

SPruitt22 likes this.
  5. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Thank you I will start misting more frequently.

kriminaal likes this.
  6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

You can also tape off the venting along the area under the door, and put the foil right up to the edges of the lamp, you can't really burn the foil. And if that is the cypress bedding I think it is, you can literally pour some water directly into it. It will absorb a surprising amount, just do a little at a time and make sure it gets soaked up. You could also add some eco-earth or something similar to the mix, that holds even more moisture. A thicker layer might also help. This will help to stabilize the humidity between sprayings.

SPruitt22 likes this.