This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity Help

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by rochelle lindsey, Oct 21, 2017.

1. so I live in a very dry place, Tucson, AZ. Even with often spraying, covers over the lid of my ball python's tank and even damp rags over the lid, I can't seem to maintain a good humidistat level for more than a few hours. I'm resulting to getting some kind of humidifier or mister. My question is, what kind? Does anyone know of any good products that are sold at pet stores? The closest reptile based store is about an hour from me so I would like to go to petco or petsmart if that's possible. If not I'll make the trip. Any advise?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

The usual ones recommended are zoo med's reptifogger or reptirain. I don't have any personal experience with these though...
    They should have atleast the reptifogger at petco, but it's probably cheaper online.

rochelle lindsey likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Being lazy and don't want to check the other threads, but what substrate are you using? I've found cypress mulch or eco-earth, or a combination of the 2 works best. My standard mix is 50/50 of the 2, and I have no issues maintaining humidity. Maybe post a pic of your setup and we can see if there is something we can do. As for the fogger or a mist system, one of the ones recommended above should work fine, but keep in mind that if you use tap water it will significantly shorten the lifespan of whatever you get. Most of the failures I've heard about involved mineral build-up in the pump or spray nozzles, or crusting on the foggers. I use RO water in mine, and I haven't had a nozzle clog or have issues yet. My system is a Mistking, which are top notch, but would be overkill for just one cage. I use it for my green tree pythons, which actually require even higher humidity than balls.

4. cypress mulch

Attached Files:

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok you have a couple of issues.
    First off..
    That thermometer tape is useless. They measure the temperature of the glass it's attached to, not the air in the tank. Think touching a window in winter.
    Second...that dial guage. The analogs are notoriously inaccurate. Get a good digital. You can get them that measures both temps as well as humidity. You may find that your levels are not where you think that they are.
    I would advise cutting a peice of wood or plexiglass that fits over the screen except for a hole where the light sits and fasten it to the lid.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Second what Merlin said. And the screen is not nearly covered enough. Get rid of the towels, and tape plastic so that it covers the entire screen. Then set the light fixture on it where you want it, and use a utility knife to cut around the edge of the fixture to make the hole. This is actually still more airflow than is needed, but it should help more than the towels. Accurite (usually available at Wal-Mart) makes a decent and inexpensive unit that measures temps and humidity at the base and has a probe that can be placed somewhere for a second temp measurement, typically on the hot spot. You just have to check regularly that the snake hasn't moved it. Getting some eco-earth to mix with that bark would go a long way towards helping with the humidity as well.