This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity Help Please

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Rebecca Yoxall, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Rebecca Yoxall

Rebecca Yoxall Active Member

I just got this baby iguana. I was unable to upload any photos so I made it my profile picture I was in a car accident and I was injured and I won't have a car for a couple days so please I know I need humidity thermostat however I just didn't know if this was too much humidity

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Without knowing the level it's hard to say. However I would say that if everything stays wet...It's too much.
    Give us a rundown on everything you are doing. Iguanas are complicated and a lot of what pet shops tell people is garbage.

Rebecca Yoxall and Darkbird like this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Can't really tell much from the profile pic, but if there's standing water anywhere outside the water dish, it's likely too wet. And just as some general info, if there is any screen or mesh involved in the setup, it will almost always need covered to stabilise temps and humidity. And since I'm guessing the accident may have impacted your budget in a bad way, look for one of the accurite digital units, usually sold at Wal-Mart. They have different units, and one that will read temperature and humidity at the base and the temp on a probe should only be around $12 or so.

Rebecca Yoxall likes this.
  4. Rebecca Yoxall

Thank you so very much come to find out the darkness on top of my iguana's head is normal he does not have a burn I did not realize that green iguanas heads turn brown as they get a little bit older. It is the scales however just as precautionary measures I did put a tiny bit of Betadine mixed with water just on that spot and then afterwards put a tiny Devin Neosporin on it but I do know he is not burned thank God any advice or help would be greatly appreciated I had a Chinese water dragon so I'm very familiar with humidity and he and UVB and Spectrum Lighting and calcium and nutrition and things like that personally I cannot wait for my iguana to get a little bit bigger so I can build an enclosure I hate gallon tanks because you don't have a ton of height mine is about 2 ft tall and 3 ft long I have all the stuff I need to build the enclosure but right now he is too small I would never find them and if he ever got out I could never forgive myself however if you have any suggestions or anything please send them my way

5. Merlin

The best suggestion I can give a new keeper is to pick up James Hatfield book, Green Iguana, the Ultimate Owners Manual. It's a big book but a very easy read.
    Also go to our caresheet area. We have quite an extensive area of Green Iguanas info.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I second what Merlin said, please give details of the ambient (air) and basking surface temps and how you measure those.

7. Rebecca Yoxall

8. Rebecca Yoxall

This is the Basking area side I have the humidity set too low right now because the whole thing was nothing but fog the temperature in the Basking area runs and between 95 and 100 degrees and I'm a low side where there is nothing but leaves and at the very bottom of the tank it is probably 75 to 80 degrees in case he really wants to cool off in the middle I have a big pond the front I covered with leaves today so he would feel more secure. I have all the stuff to build him a new enclosure personally I hate glass tanks but with him being so little I can't take a chance on him getting out right now. I had a water dragon but it was very easy to take care of him because his enclosure was 7 ft tall 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep so there was lots of room four different ambient temperatures. I was also just able to keep the humidifier in the enclosure which made things a hundred times easier to be honest

9. Rebecca Yoxall

This last picture is of the cold side of the enclosure so to speak it's not cold but it's like 80 degrees I was thinking about maybe getting a warmer bulb just to bring it up to 85 on that side

Attached Files:

10. Rebecca Yoxall

It is obviously kind of hard to see but that is my setup right now I used carpet on the bottom or paper towels makes it a lot easier to clean 15136469758031568025739.jpg

11. Rebecca Yoxall

Basking area

Attached Files:

12. Rebecca Yoxall

This is the cooler side and his water dish so he can swim in it it looks murky and foggy but that's only because of the humidity the water is clean I just did it also I was wondering is it better to keep food on the bottom or by his basking area where he's usually sitting

Attached Files:

13. Rebecca Yoxall

I use one of those probe type of thermometers and I move it around a few times a day to check the different temperatures to make sure it is not too hot or too cold I always make sure to always check out the absolute hottest place and the Abyssal coldest place as well. I need to get something that reads humidity however when I have probably been reading for a total of probably 15 hours in the past day and a half all about iguana care food diseases and factions you name it I have read it I have read every review and most of the stuff is fairly the same in a lot of ways however is far as humidity gauges go I am at a loss every time I think that I may have found a good one I Read Battery views I look at another one that looks good and somebody says you shouldn't use those I am at a loss as to what to buy for humidity. Also if you see anything wrong with my enclosure at all something that just is a red flag please I love criticism because it only makes me more knowledgeable. A lot of people get their feelings hurt or get defensive not me it makes me want to do more research. Also if you know of any real good humidity gauges please let me know and also I would like to know the thoughts about where his food dishes placed like I said he never goes on the floor underneath his basking area there is a log that goes from the floor to above the Basking hammock there are also Vines he can climb and the hide underneath the Basking area 1513647329163515655291.jpg

14. Owen Baranoski

Owen Baranoski Well-Known Member

Those vines are fake, right? If not, you better get them out. Most ivy is toxic for reptiles.

15. Merlin

Just check garden centers or hardware stores for digital hygrometers. You can get units that measure both humidity and temperature. Accurite brand are commonly available.
    Put the food on the ground. Putting it up in the basking area will cause it to go bad faster.

16. Rebecca Yoxall

Yes they are fake

17. Rebecca Yoxall

okay but a lot of the humidity sits on the ground and I find that if I mist it up high it stays better and she never goes down underneath her basking area she will go across to the other side but she never goes down. She has a high down there and other branches as well I don't know why she doesn't do it but she doesn't do you still think I should put it on the ground

18. Rebecca Yoxall

Any other suggestions are red flags that you see

19. Merlin

Yes put the food on the ground. The it will find it.

20. Rebecca Yoxall