This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity For Red Tail Boa

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by WILDxREPTILE, Jan 1, 2018.

1. WILDxREPTILE

WILDxREPTILE New Member

Hello, I have a 6ft red tail boa housed in a 6x2x2 plywood enclosure. now the wood has been coated with Minwax polycrylic so there is no issue of mold but I seem to be having a problem keeping humidity up. this is my first boa and I have gone all out I have gotten flex watt heat tape 11x2feet, R-Zilla Controller Temperatur, Hygrometer Reptile Humidity Gauge, 100W 110V Infrared Emitter,
    ZOO MED REPTI FOGGER and an Ultrasonic Mist Maker. now from everything I read humidity should be 50 to 60% normal and in shed %70 now with the repti fogger on i get around 50% humidity and with the Ultrasonic Mist Maker on aswell I get %60 but the inside of the tank with both on is nothing but fog you can hardly see anything is this normal or am I doing something wrong the heat is 75 on low side 85 on high with a 92F hot spot. I realize this is a huge enclosure but if there is a better way please do tell any who any info would help i don't mind spending money to make my reptiles happy either

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The dial gauges are garbage. Go get a good digital hydrometer. You can find them at garden centers and hardware stores.
    Is there a large screen area where the humidity can escape? In a fully enclosed enclosure humidity should not be a challenge.
    Can you post photos of the enclosure?

3. WILDxREPTILE

WILDxREPTILE New Member

there is only 2 spot on the top for heat lamps otherwise there are no other screens

4. WILDxREPTILE

WILDxREPTILE New Member

5. WILDxREPTILE

WILDxREPTILE New Member

he is in shed right now that's why its at 64% but is that normal for it to be so foggy in there

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is what a fogger does....makes fog.
    I have no personal experience with those devices so I will let others chime in.

WILDxREPTILE likes this.
  7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ok, a couple things I see issues with here. The fixtures your using and the holes in the cage for them are why you'll have issues with temps and humidity. All your heat and moisture will be pouring out of the cage. You'd probably be best off to close up those holes, mount a florescent or LED light fixture inside for ambient lighting, and setting up either a radient heat panel or a heat pad on the floor of the cage. Both will require a thermostat. To get some air one or two small vents halfway down the cage at either end will be plenty. And if you need to raise the ambient air temps inside I'd install a ceramic fixture inside the enclosure with a ceramic heat emitter and a mesh guard around it, again on a thermostat.
    Something else to consider is changing to another substrate, it looks like your using ashen, and I've never been able to get decent humidity with ashen. I usually use eco-earth or cypress mulch, or even better about a 50/50 mix of the 2. Holds a ton of moisture and you can just pour in more water if it gets a bit dry.
    Oh, and yes, that fog bank in a box is fairly normal when foggers are used from what I have seen. I usually use a misting system of some sort, since the mist seems to soak into the environment better, at least for me.

WILDxREPTILE likes this.