This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity Doesn't Like Me!

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Yellowfang15, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

I have had this problem for a while now! Once I change my bedding (cyprus bark) I constantly have to have my dripper or mist it all the time! I have a Green Tree Frog and Bahaman Anole in the tank. This has been going on for 3 months now and is now getting on my nerves! Should I change my type of bedding or try something else? I have though of some solutions but want to here the communities input before I take any action.
    Facts:
    Cyprus Bedding
    Used ZooMed Dripper
    Water is always chlorine and heavy metal free
    I have no live plants (would like to get some but need some help with putting them in with my kind of bedding)
    I mist 1-3 times daily (sometimes more after I change the bedding)
    IMG_1876.jpg

PS: The anole and frog have lived together for three months without any fighting or even noticement of each other! They seem to be more then content with each other and will continue living together!:D

Attached Files:

2. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Okay so this may work differently for you. But I was having tons of trouble when I got a new vision Cage (I had never played with humidity in that big of a space) so what I did at first is I went to walgreens and bought a humidifier for $30 and some 1/4" tubing and connected the two and out the tub on the out side of the cage but made it so the fog went in. That was okay. It would get super high then as soon as it was turned off the humidity dropped super fast. So I needed a timer that would go on and off 24 times or more (I don't know of any that did that) so I dropped that idea. I tried a lot of other stuff but none worked. What I do now is just cover 2 of 5 large vents with plastic wrap and taped it. It holds the humidity about 80% (my retic is in shed) all day and night. You could try that... The only problem I feel like you could Encouter is mold is there isn't enough ventilation.
    I don't know though, I don't have much expierence with those types of animals or cages.
    I hope I helped.

3. Yellowfang15

Thank you! I must try some tubing in my cage!

4. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Sorry for the typos. I put* the tubing* on the out side of the cage. You might also try buying a funnel and connecting the end of the tube (where it's not connected to the humidifier) that way the tubing can rest on the top. Y'know?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I stopped using this method as I was often worried about it doing harm when breathed in. I don't think it does as this is sold as "medicinal" use to people.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Let me guess....screen top?

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Last pic shows the problem, though not well. You can see a bit of the screen top under the dripper box. That's your problem, and it's an all too common one. Pet store sell those screen tops because they're cheap and make a good profit, not because they're good for reptiles. When using one you are in essence trying to humidify the entire room, as there's nothing holding it in the tank. Quickest easy fix is to tape tinfoil over the entire screen, except for where any light fixtures go through. Then see where the humidity stabilzes at, and start removing small sections of the foil untill you get the humidity where you need it to be. This will also help stabilize temps in the cage. Eventually you'll want to consider making you own lid, usually out of sealed plywood with whatever light fixtures and vents if necessary already installed. And as for the issues with mold and fresh air, these are herps, not hamsters. They don't have nearly the same metabolism, and so don't require as much fresh air. And I've only rarely gotten any mold growth, and it usually goes away on it's own.

7. Yellowfang15

Yeah, I really need to have it, Vause (Anole) is very fond of climbing on it.

8. Yellowfang15

Yeah I tried that with plastic wrap but all the water ends up on the wrap, not sure if it would do the same for the foil though.

- - - Updated - - -

You meant a real humidifier... didn't expect that!

9. Darkbird

If your getting condensation on the plastic wrap, your humidity shouldn't be an issue. Going back throught the pics, I now noticed that your using one of those cheap analog thermometer/hygrometer units they sell. That could be a lot of your issue as well. Those are well known to be highly unreliable right out of the package, sometimes being 15% or more off. Do yourself a favor and run to walmart or lowes and pick up o e of the accurite digital units for about 12 bucks, it has a probe that will let you measure temps in one spot and the base measures the temp and humidity in another. The probe can be placed either on the basking site, or somewhere on the warm end if your using an infrared temp gun to measure basking temps, and the base unit go on the cool end.

10. Yellowfang15

Ah thank you but the analog that I have is quite accurate but I will get my hands on a digital one!

11. Merlin

How do you know its accurate?

12. Yellowfang15

In the fields of science, engineering, industry, and statistics, the accuracy of a measurement system is the degree of closeness of measurements of a quantity to that quantity's actual (true) value. I'm sure that mine is quite accurate.

13. Merlin

So is that a long winded way of saying that you just trust it?
    These gauges are notoriously inaccurate. I have personally tested many of them and found them wrong.

14. Yellowfang15

Not going to argue but I don't think I paid $23 for a non working one.

15. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I agree with merlin. I've found gauges very inaccurate right out of the package especially analog. Please don't be too proud to double check

16. Darkbird

Sorry, but the price you paid has nothing to do with the quality of the unit. In the case of the one you have (visible in the fourth picture), over and over again we have advised people to change them out for a digital, and had them come back and tell us that they got totally different numbers from the digitals. Although there are analog guages with an accuracy that will put the cheap digitals to shame, the ones made for reptiles simply are not manufactured to those standards. What you do is up to you, you came here asking for advice, and we have given it, based on our experience using a lot of different equipment over the years.