This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity concerns

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Og_, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

To give a little more info, This is an adult Cham. I keep the vent closed in that room to keep the ac out and the door closed. When it was so hot and dry, I would open the door but not the vent in the morning and set my thermostat to 80.At 6:00 A.M., I would mist the cage, Fill the dropper, and put a few dusted crickets in and go to work. When I got home at about 3:00 P.M., I'd do the same exept every couple of days I would pick up some wax worms on the way home as an extra treat. They love them! And then I'd mist again before going to bed.
    I look for visual clues for the amount of moisture in the enclosure. I have cypress mulch to cover the bottom. When it is moist, It is dark and shiny. When it dries out, It's a lighter brown color. Plus I put spaghnum moss in clumps in strategic locations. On top of that I had four giant carwash sponges soaked with water. I put a curtain of synthetic landscaping fabric around the sides and back that will still allow some airflow but at the same time provide a surface for water droplets to adhere to.

The weather has produced about a 95% reletive humidity. That's compared to 45% a week ago. Pheonix, AZ was at 22% (I'm a weather fanatic!)

I was concerned because when I got home from work everything was almost entirely dried out. But it's over now. Matter of fact the humidity has gotten so bad that I've had to take out the sponges AND the moss or else I'd have a wet goop at the bottom of the enclosure. It's so humid that I've had to put dried rice in my salt shaker because it stopped shaking. That's inside with central air!

I went ahead and bought a hydrometer today to be on the safe side, But I think it's going to take several hours to get a good reading. I'm skeptical that it's any good because it showed 50% humidity in the sealed container that it was in. It did have a card board backing though which could let some moisture through. It cost $12.00 but it's all they had.

The Mom and Pop store that I bought him from had a rescued Veiled in the "Rehab" section of the store. Man, I've never seen a lizard so dark! It looked like it came out of a coal mine!
    Mine has never gotten darker than he was in the pic in my gallery with him on my hand.
    Darkness is a sign of stress.

A lot of this is a rehash of my earlier entries. This concludes what I have to say on this subject. I really appreciate everyones input! I feel this problem is resolved. At least untill next year!:)

2. Mark

Mark Elite Member

At least until you have to turn the heat on. Central heat, especially gas forced air, is a humidity nightmare worse than running AC. Enjoy the humidity while you have it.

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

At even the level of 45% for a short time isn't too much too worry about. Veleds have a very large territory ranging from arid to tropical. I shoot mainly for the mid line of 50-80%. An waterfall could be a good addition as most veileds will use it as a water bowl and it will provide a constant humidity.

4. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Well, I bought a humidity gauge. It maxed out at 60%. I figured that I'll open the window in the room since I don't need AC in that room. It's gone up to about 76%. That's in the afternoon. I know by the weather reports that the outside humidity in the A.M. is about 95%. At times it's 100%! I've thought about moving the entire outfit Outside! At least till it gets colder.

5. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

Several sites I have been on suggest veileds (also what I have!) do extremely well in 30%-50% humidity because of the pretty wide variety of natural habitats they live in. You will want periods where everything can dry out or molds, mildew, fungus and bacteria will thrive.

I live in TN so I've been through the very same conditions you have...and I've had mine now for about 5 weeks. Trying to adjust everything through a drought ain't easy! We have also been getting the same thankful rain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.