This Disappears When Logged In

How to Switch Ball Pythons Over from Live to Frozen/thawed

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by alpine, Sep 28, 2012.

1. alpine

alpine Elite Member

I just bought a baby ball python, he is completely healthy and other than wanting to hide when I feed him I have not had an issue with him. When I purchased him I asked what I should feed him and the guy said that I could pick up fuzzy mice from them and that he should be eating those. He said to feed them to him live, I didn't ask why and the next time I came in the owner (who helped me set Sal up) wasn't around so I didn't ask. I'd imagine that he should be fed live in case of the possibility that he is fed live in the future? Or maybe to keep him interested in eating so that he doesn't go off food?

But that is only the lead up to my question, how would I go about feeding him on frozen fuzzy mice as well as bringing him up to other feeders as well? What is a recommended way to persuade him that frozen is something that could be eaten? I thoroughly want to feed him frozen 1. because when he gets larger it is safer for him and 2. so that I can buy in bulk and not need to make frequent trips to the store (and the pet shop offers better deals when you buy more than 1 fuzzy). Any thoughts are much appreciated.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Thanks, I will see what happens, right now he is roaming around in his large space just hanging out, I'm not feeding him until next Tuesday so I have time to get ideas on the best way to do things to work towards a seamless switch. I would definitely not want him to go off food.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The next feeding have a frozen thawed item, warmed up, and try taking a pair of tongs holding it by the tail and dangling it in front of the snake. You may luck out and he goes straight for it. If not feed a live one, and just as the snake is swallowing (as it gets to the tail) take the FT and lead it in behind it.

5. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Just thought I would update you guys on Salazar, I tried him with a frozen/thawed mouse and he went straight for it with no hesitation. Might be because I was using it to bug him but he is working on it now. Thanks for the help guys!