This Disappears When Logged In

How to Make Swinging Doors for a Custom Reptile Enclosure???

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by 789leo987, Aug 20, 2009.

1. 789leo987

789leo987 Elite Member

Hello, I decided to build a custom reptile enclosure and I have completed it except for the swinging doors! I can't figure out how to make them stay shut, I have a latch and that keeps the two doors together, but not fully closed. when I tug on the doors a bit they open about an inch or 2. Has anyone else had this problem when making a reptile cage?

P.S. I have tried about 5 different latches and none of them have worked! Nothing keeps the doors closed tightly! We tried magnets along with a latch but the magnets just aren't strong enough.

Any ideas?

PLEASE HELP!! lol
    Thanks,
    Dylan

Attached Files:

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

What if you latch each door independently to the top of the cage and put a strong magnet at the bottom.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You can buy a catch that will close quite solid.
    It's shaped like an arrow and squeezes between two rollers on the cabinet part.
    Door Catch Manufacturer

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

YOu have nothing for the latch to hold tight aganst. You could use a slide bolt on the inside of the cage to secure one door to the cage itself and then the latch on the other door would hold.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know exactly what you mean (this is why I now prefer sliding glass doors.)

I made a little swiveling piece that swings down over the center of the doors. Hard to describe, but I'll snap a picture for you - I house a Ball Python in it, and it holds up to her pushing and prying, so it's quite strong.

Let me charge my digital camera, and I'll have a pic for you shortly.

6. 789leo987

789leo987 Elite Member

uhh...Merlin....I'm a little confused by what you mean, could you elaborate a little more please?? lol

Oh, and Kriminaal, I'm not sure where I would put the door catch so that it would work...??

Sorry, but I'm not very good at visualizing things.......XD

Okay, thank you so much Dragoness!!!! Please post pics ASAP!!

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Dylan, I think if you fix a piece of say 2X1 inch wood at the bottom of the enclosure, you will be able to fit a small sliding bolt, as Merlin suggested....The reason you can`t do that now, is because the doors framing go from top to bottom, with no extra "framework" above or below, I hope this makes sense?

8. 789leo987

789leo987 Elite Member

Oh, okay, now I understand that......but that seems like a bit more work and extra money (would need to buy a 2X1 and buy another can of spray paint (I'm all out of paint)

But thanks for the idea, I'll have to consider it :)

But I can't wait for Dragoness to post pics!!! XD

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Even with the set up you have now you could still do as I suggested.
    Picture a bolt such as on a door or gate, turned on its end, on the inside of the door. Underneath it is a hole of some sort. With the door closed you could reach in and push the bolt into the hole in the bottom of the cage, locking the door to the cage from the inside.
    This is looking from inside the cage.
    IMG_1841.jpg

Attached Files:

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Good idea Merlin, he can just drill a hole in the piece of wood at the bottom, I think I can see a piece running the length of the tank...(inside).

In which case Dylan, you only need to buy a small bolt. (Very cheap!)

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Here is what I did - little strip of wood, and a screw (there is a washer in there too). Swivels open and closed. I have one on top, and one on bottom. If I don't close them, the doors can open enough for the snake to get out (as seen in pic 3)

Attached Files:

12. 789leo987

789leo987 Elite Member

Oh, thanks for the pics Dragoness, but that kind of system will not work....(take a closer look at the first picture and you will see why...) My doors have a frame on them, so they jut out quite a bit...

Any other suggestions???

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Velcro, lol, or switch sliding glass doors.:p

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

a small hook and eye type thing?