This Disappears When Logged In

How To Increase Humidity In A Wood Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Jun 19, 2016.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

So, my ball python has an enclosure that we made ourselves. The humidity hasn't been high enough, but I'm scared to mist it because I don't want the wood to mold (it's sealed, but still). I've put moss in one of his hides once and he wasn't a fan. Didn't use that hide at all while the moss was there.
    JGFni1O.jpg

I was thinking about buying a snake cave - like one of these: Exo Terra : Snake Cave / Secure Hiding Cave

2. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I have a wooden tank I built as well and I mist it occasionally without getting any mold. You could always put damp paper towels in a hide and see if that works.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, first off, if it is sealed properly you will have no problems with reasonable misting. If it's not, misting may end up being the least of your worries. And if there are any vents, you may have to cover them to be able to hold in the humidity. Also, Aspen tends to do a poor job of helping with humidity, so switching to eco-earth or something similar would likely help a bunch. You can also try a larger water dish located closer to the heat source.

kriminaal likes this.
  4. Jnunez8483

Jnunez8483 Member

If it's sealed correctly, misting shouldn't be a problem. Instead of the moss in the hide, put it in a dish with some water under some heat. Also, I put up terrarium background which is made of plastic so water will hold and not soak through, you'd be able to mist that as well as decor. I have a 4 tier wooden enclosure with vents and use Cyprus and have at least 85% humidity, with proper heat. Only mist it once a week and the humidity keeps up. Play around with substrate and heat in the enclosure and that'll usually solve it.