This Disappears When Logged In

How to Get a Babt Brb to Eat

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by mercuryjwp, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

I recently bought a brb from a petco going on 2 weeks. Hes real alert and seems to be in perfect health. They told me at petco that that feed him frozen fuzzies in a seperate container. Ive tried 4 times to feed him since ive bought him with him not eating. Ive tried everything from using tongs and shaking fuzzy to even trying a live fuzzy. His temp is right and I keep his cage sprayed for humidity. How long before before I should worry cause he want eat? Also ive left the fuzzy overnite in his cage.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you please give a rundown of how you are keeping her? Enclosure size, substrate, temperatures, humidity and what type of thermometer are you using? Thanks!

3. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

Right now the boa is in a 20 gallon aquarium with metal wire top. I have 2 water bowls. One a real big one and another one is small with a plastic tub with a small tub and a heat pad under. I have a zoo med thero, and humidity. Im going to get new soil this weekend, now all im using is hermit crab sand. Im keeping the cage sprayed with hot water through a squirt bottle as much as possible to keep the humidity at at least 60% and heat at 75%. Its a zoo med 2 gague and its next to sand. Ive had the snake going on 10 days. Its very alert and seems very healthy when I hold it. Im just worried about it not eating because my ball python will take the mouse within seconds. thanks

4. mshrmheadcharge

Hi, you did not give me specific temperatures, it is important, the snake will not eat if you don't have proper temperatures.
    You need to get rid of that sand and replace it with paper towels. The sand is no good.
    Also, you only need one water dish. Do you have and hides for her?
    Once you have changed the sand you should leave the snake alone for 7 days, no touching or staring. Give her time to become acclimated to her new home.
    Can you cover the top of the wire enclosure with plastic? All of your humidity is escaping through it.

Edit to add: you need to get a digital thermometer and hydrometer, you have no idea what the temps and humidity are using those gauges, they are known to be very inaccurate, by as much as 15%.

5. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

I have a order of Zoo Med's Forest natural cypress mulch substrate that should be here by thursday. The thermo. stays on 71 degrees all the time in the house and in cage and the cage has a heat pad under it where the snake can get over 70 degrees if the snake wishes. The snake has hide spots also. How long can a baby go without eating? This brb was very nippy when I got here and ive spent alot of time taming her/him and love the snake

6. mshrmheadcharge

Hi. You still have not given specific temperatures, such as basking and cool side. How many hides does the snake have? I suggest investing $13 in a digital thermometer with a probe. Without being properly supported, the snake will not eat. Sand is not a good substrate, I suggest removing it until the mulch comes. You can use paper towels in the mean time.
    Your snake will not eat if she does not feel safe, have adequate heating and humidity....

She also needs time to adjust, it is recommend that you not handle the snake for a week upon arrival, so she can have time to adjust to her new environment. A stressed snake will not eat.

7. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

thanks for the great info. I just have 1 thermo and humidity gague. Temp is a steady 70 degrees (im not sure if its picking up heat pad and probaly cant cause the house is set at 71) and I keep the humidity by spraying alot at at least 60. The snake has plenty of hide areas. I have the heat pad in the center of the 20 gallon aqurium. I just put plastic across top. Where can I buy one of the $13 probes you were talking about? I know for sure the new soil is coming thurs so ill make all the changes thurs. and leave it alone for a week. That will be a month the snake will not eat though.

8. mshrmheadcharge

How small is she? I know BRB are a bit finicky, especially in regards to humidity and temps.
    The temps should be between 75 and 83° but you will want to keep the basking spot lower then that until you get the digital probe from wal-mart. You want to measure the temps at the bottom of the enclosure, since its where the snake will be spending it's time.
    Mainly you want to stabilize the humidity, it needs to be 75% I believe or it will cause stress and possible respiratory infection. To make a more humid area, you can create a moist hide. Basically a hide, with a small opening full of damp moss or paper towels. I use a Tupperware container , lidside down (lid still attached) with a small opening cut into the side full of damp moss.
    Snakes can go a while without eating, but since you have a baby you want to have her eat sooner rather then later. The best way to encourage her to eat is to provide perfect husbandry.
    The probe is the accurite brand, available at Walmart for around $13.
    And you're welcome! Hopefully I've been helpful!

9. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

Is the Zoo Med Reptile/Terrarium Digital Thermometer With External Probe i just found on ebay the same as the Walmart probe you were talking about? I didnt see the one you were talking about on Walmart website under accurite brand? The plastic trick worked good on the top of the cage. I sprayed hot water and got the humidity gague at 100. I dont know if that is accurate since I was spraying on the thermo. I guess the probe you are talking about measures the cage as a whole or a certain spot of a cage

10. mshrmheadcharge

How much is the zoomed one?
    http://m.acurite.com/thermometer-with-wired-probe.html
    Sorry about not finding it on the Walmart site, I just googled it. I'm a bit busy with my toddler and house work...

11. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

Thanks, ill keep you posted. Ill try to get some pics of my cage and snakes soon. I thought taking care of a rainbow was the same as a ball python. They are idiots at petco

12. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

This is by no means a personal attack but its just as much your fault as it is the sellers you need to read multiple care sheets and have the proper husbandry before you purchase any animal

13. mshrmheadcharge

You're very welcome! I'm glad to help. You may want to report that employee to the store manager for giving you improper information.
    You know the care requirements now, but you can always learn more by looking at care sheets and checking out past posts on here about BRB.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

for future reference, don't listen to anything any large chain pet store has to say about animal care. They are in it for the dollar, and no other reason. They'll tell you a BRB is just as easy as a Ball, because they want to sell you the BRB.

If they told you they could be snippy, and have finicky requirements for temperature and humidity, would they be an easy sale?

15. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

I tried to feed it the last frozen fuzzy that I had thawyed before I move the brb into the new environment. I had no success. Im now using cypress mulch. I built one of those moisture boxes with a hole in the top with paper towels in the bottom until my s. moss come in the mail. I dont have me a high tech thermo yet but my side is reading a temp of 71 degrees on the middle and humidity usually around 90 now im using plastic on top. I have a end with a heat pad on the bottom with a hide and another side which is colder with a hide around 71 degrees. Its been 2 possibly 3 weeks. The fools at petco cant even tell me. I hope he eats soon. I may try a live next time I try to feed because my ball python only eats live. Im gonna wait several days though so my brb can get use to his/her new environment.

16. mshrmheadcharge

The humidity needs to be a bit lower then that, at around 80%. You need the digital thermometer, right now you really have no idea what the temps in the enclosure are, they can be way hotter or way cooler. These snakes, especially little ones are extremely sensitive to the conditions of their environment. The gauges are incredibly inacurate....

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are keeping the snake way too cold! The snake needs a daytime temperature of 85-90 degrees! Being too cold the snake will not eat because it can't digest its food and it will quite literally lay in its belly and rot. You HAVE to get those temperatures up or the snake will die. Don't worry about what the thermostat on your house is set at. Theses snakes are from warm humid tropical conditions and you have to provide that if it is going to live.

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

A simple way to provide daytime heat is with a standard halogen or incandescent light bulb - they give off plenty of heat. Don't buy the overpriced junk at the pet store, get a normal bulb from your local hardware, or any store that sells light bulbs. Your BRB does not need any fancy wavelength - just heat, and light for a photo-period.

Digital thermometers can be had for about $6 from wal*mart, to help you track your temps. You do want a warm side in the 85-90ºF range, but leave the other end cooler.

Once you get your environment where it should be, your snake will likely start eating.

19. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

20. emanresu

emanresu Member

I personally think 90 is pushing it. I wouldn't go above 85.

You don't want to cover 100% of the top of the tank. Some air circulation is nice to have so you don't end up with a mold tank. Cover 80-90% of the top, 1 small section on opposite ends of the tank ideally should be left open.

You have not explained how you are preparing these mice, or the size of your snake. The mouse should be a little bit wider than the widest part of your snake. You should thaw the mouse out in a sealed bag and place that bag onto warm water. The mouse should be body temperature when served and left out for the snake on top of a rock overnight. Do not try to watch the snake eat. They will usually only eat in the middle of the night if you leave them in peace and quiet.

To be brutally honest, if you bought a Brazilian Rainbow Boa thinking you were buying a colorful Ball Python, you should probably try to return it or sell it to someone who knows what they are doing. The boa will require at absolute bare minimum a 75 gallon tank, 90 or 120 to look like it fits. It will eventually be 6 feet long and about 10 pounds, and probably as thick or thicker than the thickest part of your forearm. Ball Pythons are a set it and forget it snake. Owning a rainbow boa properly is a similar commitment to owning a cat. It is easy if you have the $$ and desire, but it might be hard if you went in thinking you had a more colorful version of the ball python.