This Disappears When Logged In

How to Figure How Much Heat?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by autograf323, Feb 2, 2010.

1. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

I have built a plywood 4x4x2 box with a plexiglass 3x3 front and i want to get some ideas on what would be best to heat this size enclosure up to the temps they should be. I have two lamps on top one is a basking red lamp and the other is a regular 100w bulb any info would help thanks.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are a lot of variables. How cool is the room where it will be. Will the heating elements be sealed the enclosure or sitting outside it shining in thru an opening.
    And what type of animal will it house.

As an example my boa cage is 4ft by 24 inches x 18 inches. Other than a couple of air vents it is sealed and it is heated quite nicely by one 100 watt ceramic heat emitter on the inside.

3. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Well-Known Member

With Merlin on this. Depends what you are housing. Read up on a care sheet for whatever particular species you are housing. You can get a thermostat to control your heat source to whatever temp you desire.

4. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

sorry i have a chinese water dragon and I have to fixtures that are housed on the outside of the enclosure and a regular strip lite for the inside. other than the two holes for the light to shine thru the box is closed. I got two thermometer one for each side and the side that has the basking lamp is only reading 70 and the other side is reading 66. I know all about the basking area and how one side is the warm side and the other is the cool side but im not use to having a box of this size.

5. Merlin

I hope you don't already have the dragon in there. That is not nearly warm enough.

I gather that the location of the cage is a little cool?
    You are going to have to have something different in the way of heating. A single 100 watt bulb isn't going to to do much in a cage that size.
    Either adding more bulbs and/or increasing the wattage.

6. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

the enclosure is in the basement and i have the one light that is red colored and also the 100w bulb what else should i put

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I have my CWD in a 4'-4'-2.5' enclosure and I use a 100w megaray for my UVB/heat and a 150w ceramic heat emiter for night heat and suplimental heat during the day (I have the CHE on a thermostat set at 80 degrees with the probe sitting next to the pond). My basking spot runs 92-98 (depending on room temp) with my ambiant temp on the hot side 85-90 (taken with an infra-red temp gun) temps on cool side 74-80.

Hope this helps you a little.

8. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

I went to the pet store and bought a 150w basking light that sits on the top of the box shining thru for a basking spot i also have the same bulb on the left side in the box. I checked the temp on that left side and it reads 69.8f is that even possible it is a thermometer from lowes digital. I was looking for the ceramic heat emmiter and they didn't have one so on my way to the pet store again today. Thanks for the help.

9. Merlin

Are the probes from the thermometer attached to the walls? If your plywood is thin and the outer room is cold it may be reading the temperature of the wall.

10. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

It is attached to the wall should i move it? The plywood is 3/8 ply.

11. Merlin

3/8 should be thick enough to not be a problem. What is the temperature of the room itself?

12. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

It's the basement so im guessing 60

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Sounds like you simply need more heat in there, if you are fighting a cold basement. I would look into finding at least a 150 watt CHE and matching fixture. See if you can find a way to attach it inside the enclosure. I think a lot of your heat is going out the top.

14. Merlin

I agree. My reptile room gets pretty cool in the winter,...mid 60's.
    If you put the heating elements inside the cage and seal the holes up you will have better luck.
    But be sure and cage the heaters so that the dragon can't get in contact with it.

15. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

Thanks ordering two 250w ceramic heat emitters. i am also moving the lamps inside and caging them. thanks for all your help

16. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Well-Known Member

That will be a lot better. But make sure it doesn't get too hot with those. One might be sufficient enough. A thermostat will take care of the correct temp. You can set it to the desired heat range and it will control the power to the emitters and keep them a constant temp. If you do not use a thermostat you will have to allow the excess heat to escape somehow. That equals wasted heat and power. The advantage of a thermostat is instead of the emitters using full wattage at all times it cuts the power down to the emitters and you might only use 20-40% of what you would be using to leave them powered at 100%. It will cut your electric bill down too. You may be able to get away with just one 250w and a thermostat instead of two 250w emitters.