This Disappears When Logged In

How to Do a Water Change for ACF?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by monkeytechahoo, Sep 11, 2010.

1. monkeytechahoo

monkeytechahoo Elite Member

My son's 4th grade science class has 3 african clawed frogs that we will be donating a tank for. They're currently kept in a med size kritter keeper.

I've been reading that water changes are less stressful than even a quiet filtration system. The science teacher doesn't know how to change tank water other than catching the frogs and putting them in another same size keeper, she was given the frogs because "they are easy to care for and don't need much of anything".

My son has volunteered to change the water for them so they don't have to be caught, but how do you do it? I've had fish in the past, but I didn't do their tanks, previous hubbies did. I handle the birds/cats/dogs/geckos/snakes/lizard care so far. *lol* Is it as simple as remove 1/2 the water and replace with clean water?

Thanks

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I would use a siphon, and only change part of the water at a time (say, 25% a day or so). Be sure to replace it with dechlorinated.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

you could just scoop it out with a measuring cup. Are they the mini-frogs, or the large ones? They come in two sizes.

4. monkeytechahoo

It's the large ones. All are big enough to sit in the palm of my hand by themselves, course my hand is the same size as my 10yr old's. *lol* But they are the clawed frogs and not the dwarf ones.

I'm hoping the water change can be done by a child. I can go in on my days off when they fall on a week day and help if needed, but my son does want to do this on his own. Will a siphon be easy enough for a child to operate? I've seen them used, just not used one myself. It will sit next to the sink so a measuring cup/bowl can be used as well.

With a 40gal tank, filled about halfway up, remove & replace about 1/4 of that water each week, if needed, do you think?

I can send gallon milk jugs for them to put the water in to sit while the water dechlorinates for next day's water change.

I'll have pictures of the tank on Tues for a better visual help. We get it tomorrow & set up Monday in class. Thanks for helping on this.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sound like a real fun experience for your sons class. Wish I had a teacher like that. That was nice of you to donate a tank for them. Can't wait for pictures.:)

6. Medium

Medium Elite Member

This is the best and easiest way to do a water change. Scooping would be a second choice. All you need is a tube found at Petco, (they usually sale a clear plastic one) This is less disturbing to the frogs, and can clean out any small particles.

7. schlegelbagel

I don't think a small child can do a siphon. Heck, half the time I have a hard time getting the siphon going. If its only 20 gallons of water, only 5 gallons needs removing once a week. I think submersing a gallon water jug is probably his best bet. However a siphon will need to be used some times, because their poop will sink. A siphon is the only way to get that up. Could the teacher help him get the siphon going? Then all you would need is a 5 gallon bucket to catch the water.

8. monkeytechahoo

I can use the siphon when my days off are during the week. Easy enough 1mile drive up the road in the morning to do the water change and then it's only 3wks every 9wks that my son could bail the water if the teacher doesn't use the siphon herself. We used to have one, but I threw it out last year, figured we'd not have fish ever again, since we've moved like 2times in 2yrs, and not need it. *lol*

Thanks for the advice and I'll post the pics on Tues once I get the tank set up.

Last few question...I think..*lol*....I haven't gotten the rocks yet for the bottom of the tank. Home Depot/Lowe's/hardware store should have the "big enough they can't swallow" size rocks right? Could I just rinse them off then add to tank or rinse, let sit overnight, then add to tank? Or am I just overreacting to the "fogs are sensitive" a tad much? *lol*

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

be sure to rinse anything before it gets put into the tank. As to the frogs being sensitive - I would think that getting all the 'stress' out of the way at once would be the best bet.

Siphons are pretty easy to use, and any piece of hose will do (even an old garden hose!)

10. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Sorry Bagel, LOL...just thought the frogs would have less stress. A Garden hose would work, but is really to big. You really want a thin small opening if you could get one.

I would scoop before using a garden hose.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For a small container you could use a peice of aquarium airline tubing. Its small enough not to cath the frogs and the stream of outgoing water will be slow enough that if there is a slip up you won't have a huge water mess before you can catch it.
    This will depend on whether your city uses chlorine or chloramine for their water supply. The chloramine mix will not evaporate like chlorine used to.
    Cities which get their water from a surface reservoir were mandated by the government to switch to chloramines.

12. Medium

Medium Elite Member

That is the exact size tube you want!! A garden hose is just to big.

13. monkeytechahoo

Thanks so much for more advice on this.

We got a 29long that has a stoppered hole a few inches up the tank so that can be used for easy water removal, the tanks sits next to a sink, and this weekend, after payday, we're getting the siphon and some more rocks for the bottom. We went with a background instead of fake plants.

Here's some pictures for more advice/suggestions. :) When we put the frogs in there, they just stretched out, it was so cute. *lol*

Attached Files:

14. schlegelbagel

awwww, that looks like a good home for them. And yes, a siphon is a definite must with those rocks.

15. monkeytechahoo

Forgot to post that I bought the water drops to clear the water for the frogs. A guy at the pet store has frogs and he told me what to get that's best for them. The teacher had some type of water crystals that she was given by the teacher who started off with the parents.

And we put a 3rd pot in there so all 3 frogs had a hidey place.

Would a temp gage be useful to watch the water temp? My daughter asked me a silly question about a temp gage..."mom shouldn't we buy them a thermometer so we can watch the temps and humidty?" (this is where I hear crickets chirping before we both laughed very hard) But water temp did make me think, it is a school room and they keep weird high/low temps.

16. schlegelbagel

honestly, i dont' know all that much about their care, and have no idea if they need a specific water temp. If "around room temp" is fine, then I wouldn't worry. They aren't going to freeze or fry the kids. If they need temps that are in the mid to upper 70s, then by all means get a thermometer and a heater. No need to know the air temp or humidity, since they won't come out of the water.

17. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Once you get the right size tube to siphon, you will see how easy it is to do water changes and clean the bottom. A digital thermometer made for water would be a great way to check your temperatures. Just be sure it is made to get wet. From there (I am not sure of the required temperature for these guys) but if you find it is to low, you can buy a heater designed for water. I think they come with a thermostat already built in :)

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is one of those rare cases where the stick on thermometer strips are actually functional as long as they are put on below water level. That is actually what they were designed for.

19. schlegelbagel

I just use the little suction cup water thermometers for my fish tanks. They work fine. And yes, thermostats are already built into fish tank heaters.

20. monkeytechahoo

Thank you, I'll check on the care sheets and get the right gage then.

Our first training on how to use the siphon is Tues. *lol* It's gonna be a fun time all 4 of us learnin how to use it. Teacher wants her daughter as well as herself and my son to know how to use it so there are a few people to do the changes during the week.

My son reports that the frogs are doin good. That they look really really cool when they "fly" across the tank in the water. *lol*