This Disappears When Logged In

How to Cool Down a Tank?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by uncertainsky, Jun 10, 2013.

1. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

What are some ways to cool down tanks? Its 4 am now and my BRB, croc skink, FBT, and CWD tanks are around 84f with no bulbs no heat pads nothing on. Every tank but the FBTs have glass tops to keep in humidity. All of the tanks are already in the coolest room. What else can I do besides making a small a/c unit to put in them?

2. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

I use pc fans on all my enclosures that require humidity.
    They run for 10 minutes every two hours to control temperature and provide fresh air to avoid respiratory problems.

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

CRRL's idea^^^ will work. In my experience (I have this problem too) the easiest thing to do is to find a way to cool down the whole room. If you have access to pieces of marble that will help provide a cool spot.

4. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I had to add a portable cooler. And Ice.

5. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

An A/C is ideal.
    Otherwise, portable fans, as mentioned.
    Freeze a jug of water and place it in front of a fan, or set a bowl of ice in front of it.
    Fill a misting bottle with cold water to spray down your enclosures.
    And in an emergency cooling situation, ice packs inside the enclosures (wrapped in paper towel to prevent contact) will sufficiently lower the ambient temp for a time.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

A window or portable a/c system is probably your best option. I will be getting one of these myself soon, as the ambient temps in my reptile rooms can get close to 100 degrees on a bad day. Sux having to turn off the lights to keep the temps under control. I also keep a fan in the window to suck some of the hot air out.

7. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I was actually just thinking about yanking the parts out of a thermo-electric cooler and trying to make something up.