This Disappears When Logged In

How Sound Sensitive Are Leopard Geckos?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by BaptizedByFire, Jul 16, 2011.

1. BaptizedByFire

BaptizedByFire Active Member

Hey everyone,

I recently moved my drum set into the same room as my Leopard Gecko tank. Afterwards I was like "that probably wasn't a good idea, it'll cause my little dude unneeded stress." Which leads me to my question, what is an acceptable noise level for Leopard Geckos? How sensitive is their hearing?

Thank you in advance,
    Heather

P.S. I mute the heads on the kit with pads and/or move him out of the room when I play.

2. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Drums + leos = BAD!!! They are extremely sensitive to loud noises and any good herp vet will tell you it is important to keep them at least one room away from any speakers or musical instruments. You can cause not only un-due stress, but also permenant physical damage to their ears. Low frequency or high bass-level sounds, like those created by drums, are particularly damaging because that it what their ears are most sensitive to (as a way to detect approaching predators).

3. gazjd

gazjd Elite Member

i would imagine that they have have quite good hearing, when i get up in the morning and say "hiiii marley" lol my little leo always opens his eyes and tilts his head out of his hide to get a look and the same whenever my 3month old son has a cry so i would have thought a drum kit would be rather loud! although i think he/she will be just fine if you keep putting them outside the room when you play :)