This Disappears When Logged In

How Often to Run Fogger?

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Andyc3020, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

My wife's veiled chameleon just moved into his new home. a 3'x2'x4' screen cage that I built. We are constantly having to hand mist him to keep the humidity up and make sure he has drinking water, so we are going to buy a one of those foggers. I'm going to put it on a timer so it isn't running constantly.

How often should it run? I was thinking like 10 minutes every hour, but I could be way off. What do you think? Also I'm going to put some kind of trickle fountain for his drinking water.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The amount of time needed is going to depend on how humid or dry the room the cage is in.
    The joy of screen cages,...balancing heat and humidity.

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Yeah i figured... just looking for a starting point really

4. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

I would suggest, even though tedious, sitting there and watching your humidity rise and fall. Once you have an idea of how long it takes for your humidity to do both, you'll know how often it should come on, and how long for. Hope this helps.

5. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I know one of the reptile companies, though I can't remember which one, makes a fogger controller where you can set the desired humidity level and it will turn your fogger on and off automatically. Might be worth checking out.

Just an FYI I would definitely look at ultrasonic humidifiers for humans (lowes, walmart, target) as opposed to the reptile brands. The reptile brands are notorious for breaking after a few months and don't really hold that much water in their reservoirs. You can just add some pvc piping or dryer hose to pipe it in.

6. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Thanks ill look into it.. like a thermostat for humidity. A humidifier is probably cheaper too