This Disappears When Logged In

How Often Do Kenyan Sand Boas Ovulate?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Romeyrider, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Romeyrider

Romeyrider Well-Known Member

Just like the title says. Thanks for your help!

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't know how often they ovulate, but females must be at least 21 inches long and weigh 325 grams or more.
    Are you planning on breeding them?

DwarvenChef likes this.
  3. Romeyrider

That's the plan!

4. mshrmheadcharge

How much experience do you have with this species? Are you aware that they give live birth and will need to be separated from their mother soon after birth? They can have litters of 15, that's a lot of mouths to feed and keep warm. Do you have room and the finances to support that many lives? Do you have finances for vet bills?
    I'm not being rude or attacking you. I jusy want to give you an idea of what you're getting into.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I bred these guys in the early to mid 90's and it's no joke about the explosion of mouths to feed LOL I fed live so I set up a mouse farm that worked wonders, as long as they all didn't shed at the same time... yikes...

Generally breeding happens ever two years. The females need time to recover after the lengthy gestation period, from 7 to 11 months gestation....

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  6. Romeyrider

Thank you for making sure I am ready to breed. I am aware of all the work it's going to be. That's why I am only breeding one snake at a time! Lol I have done endless amounts of research on the subject and I feel that I am ready. I also have an experienced breeder looking out for me. In fact he's the one who wrote the new Sand Boa book that came out earlier this year. I didn't even think to ask him this question I just figured the community would know...but it appears not. So I will just ask him. Thanks anyway and happy holidays.

7. Romeyrider

Oh and gestation is not 11 months. I am hoping that was some sort of test.

8. mshrmheadcharge

Gestation period for this species is anywhere from 2-8+ months. 11 months is certainly not unheard of.

9. Romeyrider

I suppose if they retained sperm.

10. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I assumed that female didn't take to the breeding. She went 11 months when I saw the wee ones swimming around the tank the day after she lost weight (go figure) only 6 babies that cycle for her. Next was 7 months with 11 babies.

11. mshrmheadcharge

I think they ovulate just once a year, maybe twice. Signs of ovulation include increased weight and firmness in the lower half of the snake. I think things like temperature can play a role in the gestitation period

12. Romeyrider

Thank you. I am going to continue doing research but it's hard breeding snakes and boas are different because they give live birth.

13. mshrmheadcharge

Are you going to try brumating her to bring her into season?

14. Romeyrider

Yup! I have 13 Kenyans and I am going to be brumating them all as I do every year.

15. mshrmheadcharge

Then it won't be too difficult to determine when your female is in season. I think I remember reading they typically ovulate after their first shed of the season but that isn't a concrete indicator.
    What morphs are you working with?

16. Romeyrider

I have a couple different pairings but I am only going to breed one at a time due to the fact I would have to care for upwards of thirty babies at the same time.

Anery female with anery stripe male

Heterozygous snow female with snow male

Rufesens female with Rufesens male

Stripe female with stripe male

Canary dodoma female with canary dodoma male

Triple het female with triple het male

I then have a Cal flame female and I am hoping to pick up a super flame at the reptile show that's coming up in January.