This Disappears When Logged In

How Much Food For A Leopard Gecko?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by DPrince13, Jun 24, 2018.

1. DPrince13

DPrince13 New Member

My girlfriend and I are getting 2 female leopard geckos and we can't seem to find any information on how much food to offer. There seems to be a lot of schools of thought on the subject. Some people say to keep mealworms in a bowl at all times while others say to feed insects every other day and a few say you can feed every day but cut the amount of food in half. But I can't find even a rough estimate as to how much food to attempt to feed them. I saw on one website (and just this one site) to feed 2 insects for every inch of leopard gecko but to me that seems like it may be quite a lot even for an adult. This rule says a 6-7 inch leopard gecko should eat 12-14 insects every other day which leads me to worry that rule may lead over feeding the geckos. I've been trying to find this information for days now because we are expanding our dubia roach colony to feed the 2 geckos our young water Dragon and our beardie. Our colony right now is just large enough to feed our water Dragon and our beardie and I'm trying to find out how much to let it expand before getting the geckos to have an adequate amount of food.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I fed mine daily, as much as they would take in about 5 minutes. And the feeders should be no longer than the width of the geckos eyes.
    These "So many insects per length of lizard", things are nonsense.
    You have to keep in mind that anyone with a computer can put up a caresheet And a lot of them are just making it up as they go along.

3. Lynne

Lynne New Member

When I was researching how much food to feed my geckos, I came across the youtube channel "Leopard Gecko". She provides really good info on supplements and feeding amounts based on the leo's age.