This Disappears When Logged In

How Many People Here Are in New Mexico?

Discussion in 'Shows and Expos' started by uncertainsky, Mar 20, 2013.

1. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

I am interested in talking with people here on HC that are in New Mexico to come up with ways to get a reptile show here. Im not trying to get a huge show that would take up the entire convention center in Albuquerque but maybe just a simple show. I know there are breeders here of all types of herps. I also know that other states don't even know new Mexico is a part of the US(personal experience from all over the country).

So i want to here from you, what might we do to get a show a little closer to home?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Contact your local herp society.

3. uncertainsky

I did. They told me to just go to repticon denver... that's why I'm asking for ideas

4. Merlin

Well that certainly wasn't very helpful of them! I did a quick look and I see nothing about expos in NM since 2003!
    I wonder if there is some law that is causing them to avoid the area.

5. Im 4 hours from Albuquerque, Id head there for a reptile show!

6. Merlin

Do you have a listing on one there? The only one I saw was years ago.

7. uncertainsky

I'm not sure about laws restricting shows we have all other kinds of animal shows here. The laws I found only state its illegal to own wolves, bares, and alligators/crocs.

8. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

I'm still researching it but apparently lllreptile held a show in Albuquerque back in 2006. I saw somewhere mention something about NM Game & Fish restrictions or something on reptile shows but I haven't found any details on that yet.

9. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/apps_permit/documents/importation/19357ImportationFINAL.pdf look at 19.35.7.13 concerning temporary importation of non domesticated animals for the purposes of exhibition etc etc. I am led to believe that even tho this statute specifically states animals, and birds, and fish it includes many species of herps. But I am by no means a lawyer or in a position to completely understand what is in this document, I was informed this is a part of the reason for New Mexico having no reptile shows.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  10. atone2308

atone2308 Well-Known Member

hey bud, i was in the army in fort bliss tx, i use to go to a really nice pet shop in Las Cruces right down the street from NMSU and i must say the guy had it all, he is who got me into snakes, not sure if its still there or not but anyway just agreeing with you there is loads of herp lovers there... hope u have luck finding others to help you push for shows there. here is one i found for ya, (not NM but is closer then most to ya) July 27-28
    El Paso, TX
    Repticon El Paso, El Maida Shrine, 6331 Alabama Street, Info: 863-268-4273;info@repticon.com;Repticon Home Page

11. uncertainsky

Yeah that is pretty close maybe 4-5 hour drive. It just seems that everything is screwed up in this state we always get the short stick lol

12. SirCal

SirCal Member

im in ABQ havent heard of any shows being held here though