This Disappears When Logged In

How many herps is too many herps?

Discussion in 'General' started by grim, Jul 7, 2006.

?

how many herps is too many?

1. one(noone better check this one)

1.0%
  2. two

1.0%
  3. three

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. four

1.0%
  5. five or more

6.2%
  6. other(a particular number higher than 5

21.6%
  7. Theres no such thing as too many herps

69.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grim

grim Elite Member

when do you have too many herps?

2. venus

venus Founding Member

I chose other, but the true fact is there is never to many....but..its should only be what you can afford to house and feed. :p

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I picked one. IF you can't house and feed it properly to give it the best care it requires. That goes for any number I guess.:)

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I too chose other.

The moment you are grouping herps together in enclosures that are not of adequate size, you have taken in too many.

The moment you have to skip their feeding because you can't afford their food that week, you have taken in too many.

The moment you can't keep up with the cleanliness of the enclosures, you have taken in too many.

The moment you decide your herp isn't going to the vet even though you KNOW something is wrong with it, but you don't want to pay the vet bill, you have too many herps!

The easy answer is "too many herps for some is 1" and for others there is no limit. If you have the space, time, and funds you can keep adding to it. If you don't, you have too many herps.

Do any of you fall into any of these categories? If you do, perhaps its time to stop purchasing or taking in herps and maybe reduce your current collection?

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with Rich :D

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed! The number of herps that would be considered too many is based on the amount of your dedication, quality of care, and ability to properly care, feed house, and provide medical attention. I know people who should not have any and I know other keepers with several dozen who's care is exemplary!

All too often people put the amount they would pay for a replacement up against the possible cost of a vet trip and the current animal loses out!:mad:

7. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I agree, it all depends on the person who has them.

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Mummhum Merlin. I dont understand how people can just "replace" a herp..it didnt ask for you to purchase it and it didnt ask to get sick...I think thats one of the worst things people can do :( if youre not willing to care ffor it like you would a child you dont need to be getting herps, or any other animal!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree! In fact when I first met the Dr who has since become my Herp Vet she seemed amazed (and very pleased) by the fact that someone would actually spend $200 treating a $12.00 cornsnake!

10. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Exactly... like my mom who spent about $3,000.00 to treat a "free" tortoise!

I too voted "other" for many of the same reasons as already listed and one additional reason:

Some herps require more care than others and I think the ratio of "easy" to "difficult" herps is a factor as well.

11. RNA

RNA New Member

NEVER too many!! ...for me that is!

12. Caleb the Herper

Caleb the Herper Active Member

I voted other, merly because i love mine, and they love me, however, i always make sure to have money set aside for their food, vitamins, and cage setup. I even celebrate their birthdays!

13. Bighill_Reptiles

Bighill_Reptiles Elite Member

to many is when you can't feed and keep them properly the more the better i always say

14. iam_a_legend06

iam_a_legend06 Well-Known Member

never to many as long as you can afford the food heating and have the room and time to properly do it

15. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

I agree with everyone else really. Too many herps applies when yo find yourself in over your head with not enough time, space or maney to care for the animals in your home.

For me right now - what I have is enough - I think that at last count that is around 30 or so!!

16. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

What is too many herps, I agree with what the others have said, what you have the time and money to care for properly. You also need to take into consideration the life span of the individual herp. You may be taking on a life long commitment. I have thought about a Tortoise but in reality it will out live Sean and me; then you are looking at rehoming an animal, which isn’t as desirable as a youngster. So I have the next 10 or so years committed to herps, which is something that I understand and am willing to commit to. What can I say it is my only vice, I don’t smoke, drink or gamble.

17. ClarkKent

ClarkKent New Member

i also think its up to the person caring for them, if i didnt have to worry about school or work i would probably get more frogs and lizards, but since thats not the case, everyone has a limit.

18. scd250

scd250 Elite Member

that goes for any animal...
    well anyway i gotta go clean my snakes cage now
    (ironic huh?)

19. serz

serz Member

i agree with everything said-i have 20 now and i think i am near my limit as it would be unfair to get a lot more and then realise i didnt have the funds for them anymore.I give my reps the best possible care that they could have and i wouldnt deny them that for the want of more :)

20. ivyrakestraw

ivyrakestraw New Member

we only have two herps, but lots of rats and mice and a cat... I find that the more animals i have, the harder it is to give each of them the attention and affection they need. so right now, two is good enough for me! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.