This Disappears When Logged In

How Important is the Nighttime Temp Drop?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Flint, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I just ordered a ReptiTemp 500R (I think that's what is called) thermostat from Zoo Med and it doesn't exactly have a day/night heat cycle. The photoperiod is natural, Flint is in a huge photography studio with sun lights all over. I just need to know just how important the actual temp difference is from day to night?

Being in a large warehouse-like room, the temperature isn't very stable, and the day/night cycle on the thermostat relies on having it shut off at night, along with your high powered heater, leaving a lower wattage heater on during the night. I don't feel comfortable with that at all. Nighttime lows here get in the 40's, so I want all the heating and control devices operating 24/7.

If it is vital I will certainly figure something out.

Thanks!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think it's more important that your boa has heat than letting temps drop as low as 40s to make a night drop.

My boa is quite young - less than a year - and her night temp drop is only a few degrees. I don't think it needs to be very much at all. And she always has a warm hide that she can shift into if she needs to.

3. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Yeah that's what I figured, I'd rather have him with a steady temp gradient than try to decrease a few degrees at night and risk it falling 20 degrees! Thanks

Instead of starting another thread, Ill ask my other question here :)

How do multiple BRB's do when same sex and age pairs are put in one enclosure? I have fallen in love with this snake and can't wait to get a second in the next month or so. So I'm wondering if it would be ok to keep 2 male 3-4 month old BRB's in the same 30 gal tank? Provided of course the tank has all the requirements of this snake. Or do I just need to get a second cage and provide them with separate living quarters for their entire lives?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It's typically best to keep snakes housed individually for a number of reasons. You'd hate to bring home boa#2 only to have him infect Flint with something, and then you have not one but two sick boas on your hands. Aggression between snakes is not uncommon either, which can lead to the ill-health of one or both of them.

Wait a while and get settled with your current boa before making any decisions as to bringing home more - though they are almost too beautiful to resist aren't they?

30 gallons is on the small size for a Brazilian Rainbow for life. It will work fine for a little while, but you'll want to upgrade eventually.

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Yeah I do need to get settled with Flint, haha they are just too amazing!

The 30 gal is only until I can afford or build a permanent 4'x2'x2' terrarium for him, and I also read that smaller snakes can become overwhelmed in too-large enclosures.

Ok, so a second snake will need to wait awhile, especially since ill be moving out soon into a typical college kid appt :p

Thanks again :)

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

my baby is in a nursery tank right now too, but her permanent enclosure should be done this month (pending sliding door tracks, which seem impossible to get ahold of).

I don't buy that smaller snakes can become overwhelmed in too-large enclosures: There is no enclosure larger than the Great Outdoors, and baby snakes do fine there, and have for millions of years before people came around and started caging them. The only thing is, that you have to make sure that it is very well sealed against escapes - the smaller the snake, the more places they can fit through, so do a thorough job of construction.

This is what I'm doing for her permanent cage: http://www.herpcenter.com/rainbow-boas/23001-cage-layout.html

However, if you do not want a display cage, you can consider a large plastic storage tote - not picturesque, but cheap, and quite practical.

7. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Good point on the overwhelming issue :)

Oh yeah I read that whole thread before I even joined, that enclosure is going to be awesome!

That's actually what inspired me to build my own enclosure for Flint's permanent house. My dad has been a carpenter all his life, so I've learned plenty about wood-working from him, and my future roommate is an aspiring artist, so I'll make sure he gets involved in the decorations.

I can't wait to put my time and effort into an enclosure I'll really be proud of, and more importantly that Flint will love.

Thanks again for all your help Dragoness :D

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

no problem - the enclosure is actually an old cabinet that I am customizing - so look around for old cabinets or other furniture to start you out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.