This Disappears When Logged In

How Do You Know a Reptile Vet is a Good Reliable Reptile Vet?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Hkg, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Okay so I don't really trust any reptile vets. I bought a boa a while ago, and I took him to the vet and found out he had lower lung ri and got medicine. But he died the next day. I only owned him a week so is lost over $600 on the snake. I don't mind though cause I love snakes I feel better that I got him out of that bad situation and gave him a fighting chance. I just got a dwarf retic and am worried about him having ri too or something else... I'm for sure going to take him to a reptile vet but I don't know which one. All the vets on the vet recommendation page thing are like 9 hours away from me. I know there is reptile vets in my area but my area doesn't have a large reptile enthusiast group and no one reviews the reptile vets. I'm not saying the the vet I used is wrong or bad, I'm just saying I don't know if I can trust them and use them. Y'know???
    How can I know a reptile vet is a good one? And one more question, should I take my retic in while he is shedding? Well at least it looks like he's shedding, his eyes are blue and his colors are dull looking. I've only owned him a week and 6 of those days I was out of town and my dad cared for him.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can call the local zoo and see who they recommend. Also see if you can locate a local herp society.

3. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I don't have a local zoo. I live in north idaho so I guess there isn't a big enough population or something. I wish we had one. I will search for a local herp society though.

4. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I called around and got recommendations from friends on vets to go to. Ultimately I spent some time on the phone with one of them and was quite pleased. I live in a place where we only have 2 vets that treat reptiles.

5. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Right on! My only problem is I don't know any one who likes reptiles or cares enough bout them to take them to a vet. There is a reptile rescue that is super great in my area. I called them and asked and they recommended two vets. But when I looked them up the had bad reviews. That was for dogs but still..