This Disappears When Logged In

How Do I Make a Nice Reptile Room?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by ReadyMadesReptiles, Apr 29, 2014.

1. I am in need of a nice room for my reptiles and others! Any cool ideas?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I put laminate flooring in mine - it makes mess-cleaning on the floors much easier. Great because my beardie is free-roaming in that room, but if anything else should spill, cleanup is a breeze. Also, no carpet-like materials to hold odor, mites, dust, allergens, insect eggs, parasites, or anything else you don't want staying around - keeping in mind you can track stuff in, so regular sweeping is a must.

Depending on the climate where you live, ceramic room heaters and thermostats can be very helpful when you want to keep that room warm during cooler months. It lets you heat just that room to the temp you want, rather than putting your furnace into overdrive.

Humidifiers will be on sale pretty cheap soon, now that winter is over, and they are great for keeping that room from drying out during dry winter months. Careful not to overdo it, because you'll end up with mold problems. Running a humidifier once or twice a day for an hour is usually sufficient. It won't keep it jungle-humid, but it will keep it from being bone-dry.

Timers - great for turning all your lights on and off for you at the correct time of day for your herps.

Fans, to place in the windows on warm days, will help blow out excess warm air if that room gets too warm. Also good for particularly smelly days (cleaning days) to blow the odor out, as long as it isn't too cold outside.

We attached all the baseboard molding with silicon, and put weather strips under the doors, and pretty much sealed every nook and cranny in that room with silicon and/or great stuff, so escapees (herps or feeders) are well-confined. Even attached screen to the back of the heat duct vents in case a cockroach or cricket gets down there. It gives you a lot of peace of mind in the event of escapes, knowing your animal is confined to a room they cannot likely escape from.

Vent duct covers are a must - you can either use magnetic ones, or tape them on. These are essential if you ever need to have your home treated with pesticides, or other chemicals, or if they clean your furnace ducts, as many duct cleaning services also like to spray mildicides and pesticides into the vents, and you don't want that in your herp room.

The following are on my to-do list:

A mini-fridge can be handy for storing foodstuffs for reptiles only. Salads, fruits, veggies, worms, and insects.

A portable air conditioner with built in thermostat to keep the room from overheating. I'd like to find a way to attach a fan to a thermostat, and have it kick the fan on first, and the AC if the fan doesn't cut it.

I want skylights - to cut back on lighting, and provide natural photo-period that changes with the seasons. Especially useful since the roof on that part of the house is south-facing.

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Nice thinking dragoness...... Love your ideas....

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They make a small hockey puck sized device you can use to measure temperature, motion, humidity, noise, etc, in a room. As of right now, it is not very functional - It's called the "Quirky Spotter" - and it sends updates to your phone, or you can check it manually.

Right now, the thermometer is horribly off, and I don't recommend buying it, but they are still developing it, and it may be worth watching. I received one for Christmas, and the thermometer can be off by as much as 40 degrees in any direction - which caused some panic attacks before I just shut the thing off. We are getting a warranty replacement to make sure it isn't just that we got a bad unit, but from other feedback, other people are having similar problems. We cross-checked temps with an analog, mercury, digital, and Laser thermometers. The other thermometers were all within 5 degrees of one another for temps. The Spotter was 18-40 off every time.

The hygrometer, motion and noise detectors all worked well. The noise detector was set off every time a train passed through (I don't live far from an active railroad track - less than a block)

also, the oscillating heater we had caused the Spotter to blow up the phone with "Motion detector" notices, as did routine check ins and cage cleanings, and generally any human activity in the room. A simple problem that placement solved.

They also make electrical outlets than can be controlled by your phone. If they can ever get the Spotter functioning, that might be a good way to manually turn on heaters, fans, etc. remotely. Check temps while you're on vacation, and turn on appliances accordingly.