This Disappears When Logged In

How Do I Keep The Moisture In The Enclosure

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dragonmum, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

Hi
    i am waiting for my new custom viv to arrive i have my ackie in 4 x 2 x 2 at the moment with the substrate banked and deep towards the back and side of the viv its proving difficult to keep this moist he digs all day which doesnt help. i spray every day he has a large water bowl that turns into sludge how do you guys and how will i keep the moisture in when the depth of the substrate is 2ft (when i get my viv)

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Generally, if your having issues maintaining humidity, you have too much ventilation. I usually recommend people cover all the screen or mesh or whatever they have and then opening it up a little at a time until the humidity drops to the point they need. Can't be more specific without knowing your setup.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

How are you measuring humidity?

4. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

5. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

My viv is due in the next 2 weeks 5ft x3.5ft high x 3 i plan to use pond liner in the bottom half sealed with aquarium sealant. my question is how do i keep this substrate moist do i spray it every day ? im woriied that the high temps inside will dry it too much. He is in a 4x2x2 at the moment and i just struggle keeping the temps right and the level of humidity, im hoping that in the custom viv i will be able to control it all.
    Also a quick question regards diet.
    His staples were locust , roaches then calci worms with a couple of supers and pinkys as treats. He is super active he digs climbs then flakes out for a couple of hours then he is off digging again. my problem now is that he absolutely will not even look at the locusts or calci worms all he is interested in is roaches he goes mental for them. i spoke to the breeder and he just said starve him and he will eat them, not sure i want to do that. will roaches as his main food harm him and how many should i be feeding him? Breeder advised 7 to 8 large locust every couple of days, i know roaches are much more nutritious but i dont want him over weight.

6. AmityReptiles

When its sealed up well, humidity will stay in for a very long time. Just monitor with your hygrometer, and mist as needed. The high temps will raise the humidity when it's well contained, rather than drying it out.

7. AmityReptiles

Also, the deeper substrate will help maintain humidity, as it holds more moisture.
    And roaches are a very good choice as a staple, the amount really depends on your monitors size and activity levels. The only way I know of is trial and error, if you see your monitor gaining alot of weight, cut back on portion sizes.

8. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

Thank you he is very active and according to the vet he is well muscled and healthy (no parasites)

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It pretty much on the keeper to maintain a monitors weight. Sadly there is no hard formula to tell anyone how much to feed. You just have to watch the monitor and make occasional adjustments. On the plus side, you really can't overfeed a young and properly metabolized monitor, so you have time as you raise it to get used to how it should look. As for the diet, it should be as varied as you can make it, but roaches do indeed make a good staple.