This Disappears When Logged In

How Do I Get Started?

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by aromatherapykim, Jun 23, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I live in Texas and there's several great hiking areas around. I want to give field herping a try but figured I'd get some tips from the experienced first.

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Rule #1, Research...

It's fun just going out for a walk and seeing things, however if you want to go out specifically to experience reptiles you need to know what your looking for. Field guides for your area is the Number one book to look into. They have all the critters, maps, habitats, and what not to get you started.

Another thread can be started on gear for outings and I know a few posts are already out there with many details.

KNOW the laws, what endangered species are out there? Trust me you don't want to get on the bad side of game wardens, they have NO sense of humor and never forget. Here in CA just touching an endangered species can land you in jail if the F&G is in a bad mood.

Know first aid... Depending on how involved your going to get going after herps in the field... cliffs and such appear out of nowhere, trust me :p Rolling down a hill covered in Yucca's can spoil your day/trip...

So what is your idea for Field Herping?