This Disappears When Logged In

How Do I Feed My Newt?

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by annarawrr, Apr 14, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I recently acquired a Chinese Fire Bellied Newt about a week ago and he hasn't eaten at all. For the first few days he wouldn't get in the water and would freak out if he fell in or if I put him in, but now he's swimming 2-4 times a day. But he won't eat! I offered him a baby guppy (about a week old) about three days in and he wouldn't take it, and chopped up grasshopper legs yesterday and he didn't want those either. I put in some sinking pellets for him and I think he's nibbled a bit finally today while I wait for an order of mealies and pinhead crickets to arrive in a couple days. Do I try to feed him with tongs or do I just leave the mealies/crickets in there until he eats them? I don't want him to get sick, he's looking pretty skinny. Is it normal for them to refuse food for this long and how long can they go without food? I've read you're supposed to feed them every couple days or so.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of Puddles :)

tumblr_m23epzyDvf1qco7kmo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m2gntnkIC91qco7kmo1_1280.jpg

Attached Files:

2. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

When I had newts all I fed was the pellets, but I could be wrong as that was so long ago.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi, your newt is still getting adjusted to his new home, give him a couple more days to settle in before you start to worry. You may also want go get a fecal done, just to check for parasites.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

When I had newts as a kid I fed them frozen blood worms and freeze drided Tubifex worms. That might get him to eat! They are super cute!

5. geckograndma

geckograndma Well-Known Member

Newts go through times in thier lives, I think it is called eft, when they don't like to swim, just stay moist. Most like meal worms.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

When I kept them, I also used frozen blood worms.

7. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Great, thanks for the advice guys! He's spending more time in the water lately so I don't think he's in the eft phase. He's very cute! Wish I'd have gotten him a friend but when I went back to the store they no longer had newts. The pellets I fed him were for my crayfish, the packet had a picture of an axolotl on it and said they were for all underwater scavengers. I think he's been having little nibbles here and there. But it's just for now. I'll see if I can find some blood worms or tubifex worms for him! I'll just leave some guppy fry in there with him too if he feels like he wants some.

8. mshrmheadcharge

You should be able to get them at any store that sells frozen fish food, check at fish stores or petco/petsmart

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Remember, Anna is in Malaysia!

10. mshrmheadcharge

Oh...yikes wasn't thinking about that

11. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Yeah, we don't have very many good pet stores here, herps of all kinds are considered pretty exotic here (don't know why, we have some pretty amazing local herps!) so it's not easy to get herp supplies. My nearest pet store carrying herp supplies has those canned foods from Exo Terra and a reptile pet store I bought two of my herps from MIGHT have them, I'll have a look :)