This Disappears When Logged In

How Can I Know Im Ready for a Savannah Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by derp1, May 22, 2014.

1. derp1

derp1 Member

I own 5 reptiles and wondering i am ready to properly care for a savannah monitor

2. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

When you have an enclosure that is 8x4x4 built, wired for proper temperatures and has at lease 24" of dirt in it. You will also need a feeder colony (most people use dubia roaches) that is established and producing several hundred feeders a week. Then youre ready.

3. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I concur with the above. Have the housing built and all set up before buying the lizard.

do not fall into the "a tank is OK for temporary grow up" trap.

Correct Savannah Monitor Care

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You also need a very solid floor for this enclosure. Second floor bedrooms rarely have the support required.
    Plus you really don't want to haul that much dirt in 5 gal buckets. Unless you need a reeaaalllly good workout.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Here's another angle. Do you have a stable job? Do you have enough disposable income to afford feeders, vet bills, extra electricity, the occasional blown bulb, and so on? Do you really have a suitable location for a proper cage, bearing in mind that it will weigh around the same as a 200+ gallon fish tank? And are you willing to go through all this, and face the possibility that the sav you end up with may never come to accept you? As in if it doesn't socialize well will you be ok with that? Just a few things to consider.

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

All good advice.

7. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I had to install additional support columns in my basement under my caging.

8. derp1

derp1 Member

Hey so it's been awhile I just starting using herpcenter again its been like a year I used all of your advice I just bought a sav and I have a 8x4x4 enclosure in my basement that's insulated and has 2 feet of dirt thank you for your replies I also got my first Dubois roach colony

Thank you

kriminaal and Darkbird like this.
  9. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Nice to hear of someone trying to do it right from the beginning. Congrats and good luck.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the enclosure and monitor (the other members were too shy to ask)... ;) Thanks!