This Disappears When Logged In

How Can I Accuratly Tell the Gender of My Southern Alligator Lizard?

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by Auttie, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Auttie

Auttie Member

I just want to know for future referance and to make sure what's happening with my lizards is indeed mating and not fighting. I'm almost 99% sure Fammy is a male, but it's hard to tell with Lucky. See when handled Fammy exerts his male part which is what I've heard the males do. however Lucky has not done that ever...I'm just not sure if maybe Lucky just doesn't get as startled or if Lucky's actually a female...help?

Autumns3DSPics041.jpg
    This is Lucky by the way. I know the pictures smalle but can anyone tell the gender???

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Generally, males will be larger and have a head that's more triangular and than the body of the animal. The females head iisn't much wider than the body of the animal.

3. DarthDamon

DarthDamon Member

The one on the top is a female. The way the head is shaped is oval like, the neck blends in with the head of the Alligator lizard.
    a males head will be bulky and triangular.

This is my old male Robert. See how his head is triangular and you can tell where the neck ends and head begins.

250.jpg

Now this is a female that i cought a while back to breed. see how her neck and head kind of blend in together and her head is oval.

P1020139.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014