This Disappears When Logged In

How Big is a 17 Month Old Yellow Rat???

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by poomwah, Feb 26, 2014.

1. poomwah

poomwah Well-Known Member

I've been trying to contact the breeder, but I get back an email saying they are out of the office. been like that for a bit now. But I notice they are still posting pictures on their facebook page. So my daughter sent them a message on facebook, they promptly replied telling her what they had for sale.
    So, giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they can access facebook while out of the office but SOMEHOW can't access email, I don't know how that could be but lets say its possible.
    So my wife emailed them , and they responded with information about what they had for sale.
    But I get a message saying they are out of the office :\

2. poomwah

I received an email from Daniel. He maintains that these snakes are NORMAL size for HIS colony and this is the way he's been breeding them for years.
    So it comes down to, as we've established, his snakes are bred and kept substantially smaller than what most would be expected.
    This obviously is his choice and right, and it obviously works for him. It is undeniable however, that something like that should have been openly discussed. If his snakes are noticably smaller than the average in the hobby, he should be telling that up front so the customer knows what to expect.
    His "solution" was the typical, I can pay to ship the snake back and get a refund on my purchase price. So I'd be out 100 dollars and have nothing to show for it except the headaches and heartaches, and he'd have the animal to resell .
    HOW on earth is that ethical? Had this important information been disclosed, I would NOT have bought the animal. Why am I the one to lose 100 dollars in this deal?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would not do any more business with him. Just take your losses and enjoy the snake. Feed it properly and it should reach normal growth.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Also keep in mind that if the coloration is dissappointing to you right now that as he grows the colors will change and become more of the vibrant yellow they are known for.
    Let your wife and kids handle him and they will grow to love him just as much as they did the original Photo.

5. poomwah

Thanks for the advice Merlin, Now if I can just get it to eat :\

Thalatte, I understand that the snakes coloration will change as they get older, so that may not seem like the picture matters, where it REALLY comes into play is that the snake has a huge colorless patch on its snout. I've seen a lot of aldult yellow's with that characteristic and we really don't like it. It didn't show at all in the picture, that was one of the big things about her appearance that we really loved.
    Unfortunately my wife and kids won't handle her, she's too scared and nervous, and they are not experienced or confident enough to deal with her. They won't go near her. I can't blame them, I know the snake can't hurt them, but they are still uncomfortable.
    The whole reason for buying the yearling was so I could handle it until it was well socialized,