This Disappears When Logged In

How Bad Do Leo's Bite?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Eluin, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Eluin

Eluin Member

I just my hand in the cage today to pick out some little chunks that had fallen off of the cricket egg carton before putting Leetle Gecko's rock back in and he started stalking toward my fingers. He looked like was planning on hunting and taking down my hand. He has only been with me since Friday and wasn't at PetsMart long before that, so I am hoping this will subside as he gets more used to the house, but I need to know what I can expect if he does bite me. Should I be worried or does he have teeth that could barely cut paper?

2. shortstuff410

shortstuff410 New Member

Leos, like any reptile can carry salmonella. If he bites you, especially if he breaks the skin, clear out the wound with an antibiotic like Bactine, and make sure you wash it thoroughly. Make sure you watch yourself for digestive distress, and keep track of when he bit you so you can tell a doctor if you develop symptoms.

In general, leos don't bite hard enough to break the skin, and most do not carry any diseases. Handling your gecko slowly and deliberately, picking him up from below, will always help. Good luck and congrats on your gecko!

3. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

I have a little one who finds biting me amusing, and it doesn't really hurt. Its more of a shock than anything. I hear the older they get the harder they bite but the less likely you are to get bitten. I have never been bitten by my other leo or either of the adults I used to own. So, I can only speak from experiance with being bitten by babies.

4. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Like Chris I have a gecko that thinks biting me is funny or needed to discipline me for not giving her the right attention. But it hardly hurts I've never had mine break skin either. It's like being pinched hard when they're an adult I don't know what it's like when they're tiny.

5. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Your Leo still needs time to adjust, hopefully you will not have that happen.

I have only seen one time where the skin was broken by a Leo. I can tell you I have had my Leo get me accidentally while hand feeding a cricket, it does not hurt, just can be a bit of a surprise feeling.

Give your guy time, and try not to worry about it. The small Leo's usually calm down after adjusting.

(I forgot to mention, that one that did break the skin. I think that only happened because they flicked the Leo off their finger. So if your Leo did bite, be sure not to panic...try not to pull away and flick.)

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I get bitten regularly and it doesn't hurt at all. When I say not at all, I don't even pull my hand back when one of them decides they want to taste my finger.
    Hatchlings will startle you more than anything. They may scream before they bite to amplify the effect. The bite won't hurt at all however.
    My adults are handled regularly and I am typically responsible for the bites I get from them. While holding them I have a tendency to lightly rub the side of their mouths with my finger. It is almost as if I am petting them as I would a dog. A few of the geckos don't like it much and will open their mouths and turn their heads sideways and will bite me. lol It reminds me they don't like it. The bites don't hurt though. ;)

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And salmonella is NOT transmitted thru a bite!

8. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I hear a lot about salmonella, I wondered if a bite could transmit that. I have to be honest, salmonella is not something I really worry about.

9. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Keep in mind that their eyesight is not that great. When they see movement they may think it is a prey item. My son used to get bit when we first got our leos (he was 8) and he claimed that he couldn't even feel the bite unless he was looking at Thorn (i.e. "You only feel it if you see it and expect it to hurt."). Wash your hands before and after handling- bite or no bite- that is just common sense.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Salmonella is transmited thru an infected animal's feces. The only way a bite could result in salmonella is if there is fecal material that the open wound is exposed to. So unless you are derelict in keeping the enclosure clean the chances of introducing fecal matter in a bite are pretty slim.

Salmonella is a concern with the elderly, infants and those who have a reduced immune response due to HIV or chemotherapy etc. To a normal healthy adult it is going to be the mother of all stomach upsets and something that you will long remember. And you will develop a strong attachment to your bathroom!

11. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Well then that even makes me more less concerned...LOL! I am very clean with my Leo's.

Thanks Merlin!

12. Paige

Paige Elite Member

I think the younger, more fiesty leos are the biggest culprits of accidently biting a finger while hand feeding. I don't have a problem with Sunshine now..and my new one Moon has gottne me many times, but only with the first couple..then she relaxes and takes the food easier. She has gotten me where I bled...but it was more like a scrape then a cut. It was like she was shaking here head and trying to pull my finger off, not letting go and I just waited for her to release. It didn't really hurt at all...just kinda scraped my skin alittle bit.
    Actually, she did get my nephew too and he is seven..he said it didn't hurt also, so that goes to show you it isn't so bad.

13. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

the bite of a leopard gecko will almost never break the skin. a good warning is them swaying back and forth.

14. Hippidy

Hippidy Well-Known Member

I got bit by a full grown albino while trying to hand feed. He mostly got my thumb nail and tip of my thumb. It was just a tiny scratch didn't hurt at all. He let go when he realized he missed his cricket lol. It mostly just startled me because I thought it would hurt.

15. Shadowclaw

Shadowclaw New Member

I know this an old post but a while back my orange leopard gecko bit my right index finger during feeding. I had dropped a mealworm or super worm (I forget) into his cage but it tried to hide so I moved the worm but my gecko latched onto my finger. He didn't get much of my finger but it was pouring blood after the bite. As soon as he tasted blood he let go, but I wasn't mad at him I just cleaned the bite, wrapped it up, and fed him a few more super worms or mealworms. I didn't think they could bite hard but I was wrong.