This Disappears When Logged In

House American Toad and White's Tree Frog Together

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by MamaGwynn, Jan 26, 2010.

1. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Someone is giving away a White's Tree Frog and an American Eastern Toad on Freecycle. They live in a "large terrarium" together. Not sure of the exact size. Can these two live together happily in a large enough enclosure?

I'm considering going to pick these guys up and add them to the family.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: House American Toad and White's Tree Frog Together?

IF you could create temps at the bottom of the cage that are around room temp, and have the top of the cage be 85 degrees during the day, then yes. This takes a very tall cage. I don't even get that with my custom 90 gallon tall.

Someone in that arrangement is not doing well. If its too cool, the White's can't digest food properly, and if its too warm, that puts un-needed stress on the toad.

3. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

I've got one of those kritter keeper things. I guess that's what they're called. The plastic cages with the plastic mesh top. I could keep the toad in that maybe, and have the tree frog in the cage it's coming with. It's also coming with a heat pad and light.

Do either one of these animals need uvb lighting? For the toad, room temperature is good for the whole day right?

For the tree frog, 85 throughout the enclosure during the day? How about night time?

Thanks for your help!

4. schlegelbagel

White's tree frog care: Amphibian Care >> White's Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea) Care

Heat pads are useless for either of these guys. If its on the bottom of the tank and the toad burrows, he can get burnt. And it doesn't create a basking spot up top for the whites. Thing "tree" and "sun" for the whites.

American toad care sheet. I think a critter keeper is too small for him. 10 gallon tank minimum. I'd go for a 20 long.
    Amphibian Care >> American Toad (Bufo americanus) Care

5. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

The kritter keeper might actually be a 10 gallon. It's a really big one that I used to have hermit crabs in a long time ago. I'm going to measure it and check that out. Thanks for the links! I'm not going to pick up these guys unless I know I can have everything right for them. I'll keep you posted!

6. schlegelbagel

Forgot to mention, neither of them need any specific light. I use standard house hold bulbs to make all the heat and light they need.

7. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

I emailed the owners but haven't heard back yet. That plastic cage I have doesn't have enough space on the bottom IMO. We might be going to check out a bunch of tanks someone is trying to get rid of though. I would only want to use the plastic one as a temporary house until I get the other ones. We'll see what happens.

8. schlegelbagel

I always find use tanks for cheap or free on freecycle or craigs list. Half the time there is a crack in them, and for a frog, that doesn't matter.

9. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Still haven't heard back from the owner. Nothing on craigslist, but I put an ad on Freecycle for tanks. I figure I can use them even if I don't end up with the frogs, since I've decided to start a reptile/amphib collection LOL.

10. schlegelbagel

I'm always looking on freecycle for tanks. I think i have about 4, 10 gallons in the basement. Good to have on hand if you need to put someone in quarantine.

11. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

The owners still have not answered me, and they haven't posted the animals as taken on Freecycle. I HATE THAT!! I'm assuming they've been taken. Hopefully they went to a good home.

12. schlegelbagel

Wow, your freecycle allows to post pets? Mine does not.

13. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Not 100% sure on the rules regarding that but I've seen more than one post for pets. I sure wouldn't do it even if it were allowed!

14. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

I finally heard back from the owner and am picking these guys up tonight! I'll be using the plastic cage for the toad until my friend brings me her cages she's not using Later this week. She says she thinks they're all 10 gallons. Hopefully their not 5.5 gallons. If they are... I'll just have to buy a 10.

15. schlegelbagel

Yay! Glad it worked out for you.

16. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

I hope they're healthy. I know they haven't been in the kind of set up they're supposed to so I'm expecting to have to rehabilitate them somewhat. I just hope it's not worse than I think. Either way I'm glad to bring them home and give them the care that they need.

17. schlegelbagel

Hope its been on the warmer end than the cooler one. The toad can tolerate the warmer temps better than the whites can tolerate the colder temps.

18. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Yea she apparently has been using a lamp and an under tank heater so that's probably the case.

19. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

They're here! When I went to get them they were both on the bottom of the cage burrowed under the bedding which I thought was weird... cause tree frogs don't burrow, right? There wasn't any water in their dish or anything. They didn't look very happy.

The lady gave me a TON of stuff. Can't believe she gave it all away for free.

Both the toad and frog pooped in the boxes I had them in while setting up their houses so I guess that's a good sign as far as health goes.

They're now trying to figure out where the heck they are. I'm not going to disturb them for the rest of the evening. I'll post pictures tomorrow!

20. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Oh forgot to mention. The lady said the toad was "agressive" and it was a good thing the tree frog could climb up it's tree to get away from him and eat crickets. Good thing she gave them to me so I could separate them!